*Scientists in Australia have renamed a breed of horse-fly after Beyonce, who welcomed a daughter, Blue Ivy, on Saturday (Jan. 7).
The creature, which was first discovered in the year of her birth, 1981, will now be called Scaptia (Plinthina) Beyonceae. Scientists claim they decided on the name after the insect’s golden hair reminded them of Beyonce.
“It was the unique dense golden hairs on the fly’s abdomen that led me to name this fly in honor of the performer Beyonce as well as giving me the chance to demonstrate the fun side of taxonomy – the naming of species,” said Bryan Lessard, from Australia’s science agency Csiro.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- EUR Goes Behind the Scenes of 'Law & Order: SVU' (Watch)
- Stephon Marbury Blasts MJ for ‘Kids Getting Killed’ Over Air Jordans
- Toddler Chokes to Death After Mother Dies While Feeding Him (Video)
- Damon Dash & Curren$y End $3M Legal Battle with Settlement
- Michael Moore on Hollywood’s Lack of Diversity: ‘A Form of Apartheid’
- New California Law Requires 'Perceived Ethnicity' Documentation by Police
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson's Explosive Expose on How the NRA Terrorizes Congress
- The Film Strip: Hugh Jackman and Garrett Hedlund in 'PAN' playland
- Watch: The 'Steve Jobs' Trailer
- THE (10-07-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here