*Filmmaker Ava DuVernay made history over the weekend at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah by becoming the first African American woman to win the Directing Award: Dramatic.
This was a monumental moment for all African Americans industry-wide, as it obviously hasn’t been done before.
Her film, “Middle of Nowhere,” made waves at its reveal last week and now stands testament to DuVernay’s abilities.
The film is a drama that chronicles a woman’s separation from her incarcerated husband and her journey to reconcile her marriage and her identity. She believes her work is really for the Black audience, those who want to see a more well rounded perspective of Black life.
EUR’s Lee Bailey Contacted Ms. DuVernay via Twitter to get her thoughts on the situation. She responded exclusively to us via email:
1. Your immediate/first reaction to winning
I was stunned. Truly shocked. There was another filmmaker there who was heavily rumored to be the winner across all the dramatic categories. So I just went to the ceremony to cheer on other filmmakers and enjoy the party. When my name was called by the wonderful woman director Lynn Shelton, I was floored. Very unexpected.
2. How important is this win for you personally/professionally
Its important because it shines a light on the film. That’s what’s important to me. That people know about, seek out and experience the film. An award of this profile may draw people to the picture who wouldn’t have checked for it before. And that’s the most beautiful gift of an honor like this. The possibility of more eyeballs. Plus, my Pop and Mom are very proud. That’s always a plus in my book.
3. I assume it will boost the credibility of the film. If you agree, please expound.
SEE ABOVE 🙂
And before we forget, Congratulations Ava!
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Blac Chyna and Rob K Stand to Make $1 Million for Bay Pics
- Beyoncé Earns Big for Tidal, Superjam 2016 Lineup Announced
- Monica Updates Fans On Marriage Status, Praises Husband
- Endangered Gorilla Killed After 4-Yr-Old Boy Enters Habitat (WATCH Dramatic Video)
- Keke Palmer Denies Joining 'The Real' - Tamar in Tears Over Firing (WATCH)
- 'Presenting Princess Shaw' Film Review + Trailer [WATCH]
- Motown Gospel Presents 1 Mic 1 Take [email protected] Studios
- Khloe Kardashian Doesn't Believe in Divorce, Still Getting One Anyway
- Ex-Cop Sues NYPD for $100M Over Abusive Boss & Former Lover
- Cute as Heck: 10-Year Old Gets to 'Play Bass' With Paul McCartney (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here