*It’s only fitting that on the day we celebrate her father, Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., his youngest daughter, Rev. Bernice A. King, has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of the famed King Center in Atlanta.
The Rev. King, according to The AP, will focus on external affairs on behalf of The King Center, which was founded by her mother, Coretta Scott King, shortly after the civil rights icon was assassinated in 1968. Meanwhile, her oldest brother, Martin Luther King III, will remain president, and their brother, Dexter, will continue to serve as board chairman.
Last year, 48-year-old Bernice King left her role as an elder and pastor at Eddie Long’s New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, and declined to take office as the first woman president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, the civil rights organization co-founded by her father in 1957.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ludacris' Secret to Making it Rain and Having Good Skin (WATCH)
- LL Cool J Charms at ‘Hamilton' - Gabrielle Union Slams Hollywood
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here