*It’s only fitting that on the day we celebrate her father, Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., his youngest daughter, Rev. Bernice A. King, has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of the famed King Center in Atlanta.
The Rev. King, according to The AP, will focus on external affairs on behalf of The King Center, which was founded by her mother, Coretta Scott King, shortly after the civil rights icon was assassinated in 1968. Meanwhile, her oldest brother, Martin Luther King III, will remain president, and their brother, Dexter, will continue to serve as board chairman.
Last year, 48-year-old Bernice King left her role as an elder and pastor at Eddie Long’s New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, and declined to take office as the first woman president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, the civil rights organization co-founded by her father in 1957.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Man Sentenced to 20 Years in One Court, Then Leaves to Marry Girlfriend in Another
- Joseph Patterson Convicted in Death of Adrian Peterson's Son
- 'Family Feud': Sexually Provocative Q&As Have Viewers Alarmed (WATCH)
- Amber Rose's 'SlutWalk': Several Hundred Showed Up (VIDEO/PHOTOS)
- Jerrod Carmichael: New Onyx Phone Makes Filming Police Brutality Easy (WATCH)
- Universal Eyeing Michael B. Jordan and Jonah Hill for Def Jam Biopic
- Toni Braxton to Star in Lifetime Biopic 'Un-Break My Heart'
- NeYo Shares Proposal Video, Slams Ex's Sterilization Claims [WATCH]
- Staples Singers Limited Edition 4-CD Box Set to be Released Nov. 13 from Stax/Concord Music Group
- Whoopi Goldberg Blasts Pro-Lifers: ‘Get Out of My Vagina!’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here