The job is described as impossible to describe, but the general idea is that they’re con artists who make troubled corporations dependent on their own company’s advice. As legend-in-his-field Marty Kaan (Don Cheadle) puts it, the goal is to “make them think they can’t live without us …. while we infect the host and bleed them dry.”
Among other things, the show – based on a memoir by Marty Kihn, once head writer for VH1’s “Pop-Up Videos” – seems to me a product of the knowledge that “Californication” can’t last forever, and that it would be good for the network to have another male-targeted sex fantasy on hand when it goes. When characters aren’t having sex here, they are trying to have it, or talking about it, or using it as a metaphor for practically anything else that might be discussed.
Well-crafted and a little – sometimes more than a little – unpleasant, “House of Lies” also resembles Jason Reitman’s “Up in the Air” and “Thank You for Smoking,” colorful films whose antiheroic, well-dressed, good-looking lead characters also spend a lot of time on planes and explain their unsympathetic work to the audience as they go along. We’re possibly supposed to feel a little bit good about that work, which might have an incidentally positive real-world effect, but mostly we are to feel good about the winning. A lot of the humor involves one character humiliating another, sadly.
Read/learn MORE at LA Times.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here