UPDATE: Joe Paterno HAS died. He passed away Sunday morning, January 22, 2012 according to a statement from his family. Get the details HERE.
Earlier we reported …
*It appears our story of Joe Paterno’s death, as reported by the Huffington Post, was incorrect. However, we can confirm that he is in serious condition after experiencing health complications from lung cancer.
“Over the last few days Joe Paterno has experienced further health complications,” family spokesman Dan McGinn said in a brief statement Saturday to The Associated Press. “His doctors have now characterized his status as serious.
“His family will have no comment on the situation and asks that their privacy be respected during this difficult time,” he said.
The 85-year-old Paterno has been in the hospital since Jan. 13 for observation for what his family had called minor complications from cancer treatments.
For more, watch this video report from ESPN
Earlier (regrettably) we reported …
On the heels of a sex scandal involving his ex-assistant, Jerry Sandusky, former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno was diagnosed with lung cancer late last year. Now comes word the college football legend has died. He was 85.
Paterno’s diagnosis was revealed in mid November, shortly after he was dismissed from his duties as coach of the Nittany Lions. Paterno’s ouster came in the aftermath of the arrest of Jerry Sandusky, a longtime Paterno lieutenant facing more than 50 counts of sexual abuse against children. Amid evidence that Paterno had been notified of the abuse but had done little beyond his legal obligation to prevent it, the Penn State board of trustees voted to dismiss the longtime coach in November. The scandal reverberated beyond college football, and sullied a reputation that had once seemed unimpeachable — particularly in central Pennsylvania, where Paterno, or “JoePa,” was revered.
Read/learn MORE at Huffington Post.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Activist Najee Ali Calling for Boycott of New 'Block Wars' App by The Game
- Disgraced Cop Daniel Hotlzclaw Denies Raping Poor Black Women
- First Listen: Half Mile Home's 'Thinking of Me'
- Big Boi Meme Comparing Mothers of Today & 70s Causes Black Twitter Outrage
- Eve Says She Had to 'Import' to Find Love
- Laverne Cox Responds to Her ‘Rocky Horror’ Reboot Critics
- Seniors Get In Formation for 'Lemonade,' Pittsburgh Police Resist
- Black Lives Matter Echoes the Evolution of Black Panther Party
- BLM Activist Charles Wade Charged With Pimping 17-Year-Old Girl
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' (EUR Film Review)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here