*Boxer Floyd Mayweather, Jr. has avoided jail for another six months, because a judge allowed him to postpone his 90-day sentence until after his next fight.
“Money” Mayweather was arrested in September, 2010, after his ex-girlfriend, Josie Harris, accused him of striking her “multiple times in the head with his fist” and allegedly threatening to beat up their two children, who at the time were aged nine and 10.
As previously reported, the athlete struck a plea deal with prosecutors last month to escape a felony battery charge and pleaded guilty to a lesser count of misdemeanor domestic violence. He also pleaded no contest to two misdemeanor harassment charges.
Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa then handed Mayweather, Jr. a three-month jail sentence and ordered him to complete 100 hours of community service, enroll in a 12-month domestic violence program and pay a $2,500 fine.
The boxer was due to begin his term at Sin City’s Clark County Detention Center by today (Jan. 6), but on Friday a judge permitted Mayweather, Jr. to delay the sentence and instead train for a proposed fight with arch-rival Manny Pacquiao on May 5 at the MGM Grand.
Per the judge’s ruling, the athlete will now have until June 1 to turn himself in, according to TMZ.
Several of his celebrity friends were on hand to show their support at the court house – among them singer Ray J and rapper Lil Kim.
If Mayweather, Jr. fails to obey to the terms of the agreement, he’ll be forced to serve another three months behind bars.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Wendy Raquel Robinson Pays Tribute to Iconic Artist Prince
- Kelly Rowland's New Music Series Has Her Missing Destiny’s Child
- Tyra Banks, Misty Copeland to Speak During Essence Experience
- Tyler Perry Talks Following His Own Path to Saving OWN
- John Singleton and Gary Owen Score BET Series Deals
- Opinion: Presidential Correspondence Dinner not a Place for the word 'Ni*ga'
- Wendell James Grand Marshall for Long Beach Pride Parade
- Prince Update: Family Gifted Big Bucks by George Lopez
- Latice Crawford Releases ‘Diary of a Church Girl’ May 20
- Wilmore's 'My Ni*ga' to Obama Gets Black Twitter Approval, But not Najee Ali
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here