*Reggae producer Winston Riley, who has worked with the likes of Boris Gardiner and Johnny Osbourne, has died, weeks after he was shot in the head in his native Jamaica.
Riley fell into a coma after he was gunned down in Kingston on Nov. 1. He died on Thursday (Jan 19) at the age of 65.
Widely recognized as one of the most successful reggae producers of all time, Riley began his career as a singer at the age of 16, when he formed his own band The Techniques. They recorded with producers Byron Lee and Duke Reid, before Riley quit the group and moved behind the soundboard to try his hand at producing.
He went on to work with reggae acts including Gardiner and Osbourne, and scored international success in 1971 with Dave and Ansell Collins’ hit “Double Barrel.”
Riley became known for creating the popular “Stalag” beat and later helped to launch the careers of Buju Banton, Lone Ranger and Frankie Paul.
Riley had been targeted in a number of vicious attacks in the past year – he was shot in August and stabbed repeatedly in another incident in September. Police have struggled to establish a motive for any of the attacks and his son, radio DJ Kurt Riley, remains equally baffled by the shocking wave of violence.
He says, “Unfortunately Daddy didn’t wake up so we could talk to him to find out if there was something he was not telling us. He was a straightforward man, who was allergic to hypocrisy.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- For the Brothas: Nadkins ... Wet Naps For Your ... You Know
- Zendaya on Her Fears, the 'New Cool' and Obsessive Photoshopping
- Civil Rights Leaders Call for 'Lunch Out' of Pre Oscar Ceremony Luncheon
- James Franco to Direct ‘Zola Tells All’ Based on Stripper Twitter Saga
- James Brown Previews Super Bowl Pregame Show: 'It's Only 4 Hrs As Opposed to 7'
- Jill Scott Wins Big at 47th Annual NAACP Image Awards
- Kim & Kanye Fought Over Wiz Khalifa Rant and Wendy Williams Dis?
- 47th NAACP Image Awards Announces Winners of Non-Televised Categories
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Ne-Yo’s Ex-Fiance Moyetta Shaw Posts Pics With New Millionaire Man
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here