*Reggae producer Winston Riley, who has worked with the likes of Boris Gardiner and Johnny Osbourne, has died, weeks after he was shot in the head in his native Jamaica.
Riley fell into a coma after he was gunned down in Kingston on Nov. 1. He died on Thursday (Jan 19) at the age of 65.
Widely recognized as one of the most successful reggae producers of all time, Riley began his career as a singer at the age of 16, when he formed his own band The Techniques. They recorded with producers Byron Lee and Duke Reid, before Riley quit the group and moved behind the soundboard to try his hand at producing.
He went on to work with reggae acts including Gardiner and Osbourne, and scored international success in 1971 with Dave and Ansell Collins’ hit “Double Barrel.”
Riley became known for creating the popular “Stalag” beat and later helped to launch the careers of Buju Banton, Lone Ranger and Frankie Paul.
Riley had been targeted in a number of vicious attacks in the past year – he was shot in August and stabbed repeatedly in another incident in September. Police have struggled to establish a motive for any of the attacks and his son, radio DJ Kurt Riley, remains equally baffled by the shocking wave of violence.
He says, “Unfortunately Daddy didn’t wake up so we could talk to him to find out if there was something he was not telling us. He was a straightforward man, who was allergic to hypocrisy.”
- Fantasia Reunites With Husband, Faces Tax Lien
- NAACP President Compares Bree Newsome to Rosa Parks
- Doctors Warn of Health Risks from Wearing Skinny Jeans
- Eva Longoria to Donald Trump: ‘You Must Expect a Backlash’ (Watch)
- Warrant Issued for Florida State QB De’Andre Johnson
- K. Michelle Comes for SWV’s Coko; Tamar Gets Memed Over BET Performance
- Kirk Frost of 'L&HHA' Arrested at Dirt Bike Rally
- ‘BET Awards’ Ratings Down From Chris Rock-Hosted 2014 Ceremony
- Cheryl Burke Quits as Miss USA Co-Host Over Trump’s Comments
- Lester Holt Tops Ratings in 1st Week as Official ‘Nightly News’ Anchor
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here