*Comedian Louis C.K. may be a critical darling now – with sold out standup gigs and his hit FX show “Louie” – but there’s one portion of his career that he considers a complete and total failure: “Pootie Tang.”
During a panel at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, C.K. was told that famed director John Waters hoped for a novelization of the 2001 film, which was written and directed by C.K. – and from which he was eventually fired from directing.
“That’s really nice. I love John Waters. He’s a great filmmaker,” C.K. said, before adding, “I wish he praised me for something else.” C.K. went on to call the comedy “a tragedy to me,” and “a very huge mistake” that “never should have been made.”
C.K. wrote the film as a satire of the stereotyped characters that appeared in blaxploitation films. Pootie Tang, played by Lance Crouther, communicated in speech largely unintelligible to the audience, yet it was completely understandable by other characters in the film. Chris Rock, Wanda Sykes and J.B. Smoove were co-stars. [Scroll down to watch a scene.]
Below, Louie says “Pootie Tang” was the colossal disaster of his career, yet it prepared him to write, direct, produce and star in his current FX success, “Louie.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- PETA Offers $5K for Info On Puppies Found in Sealed Aquarium in the Woods
- Patti LaBelle Has More for Walmart; Steph Curry Buys a Mansion
- Laquan McDonald Killing Prompts Protesters to Target Black Friday Shopping Areas
- Kim Foxx Vows Reform for Chicago After Laquan McDonald Case
- #BLM Movement Picks Up Support from Benjamin Chavis and NNPA
- Jahlil Okafor: 76ers Rookie in Fight Outside Boston Nightspot (VIDEO)
- Black Fox News Co-Host Asked if She 'Makes Kool-Aid' (WATCH)
- THE (11-27-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- R&B Soul Jazz Singer Kenya Covers 'Little Drummer Boy' (Listen)
- T-Pain Tells Larry King Why He's 'Done with Making Hits!’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here