*After video of the president singing the first line of Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together” went viral last week, the R&B classic posted its best download sales week since 2003.
Since President Barack Obama broke out in song at the Jan. 19 fundraising event, the tune enjoyed a 490 percent weekly sales increase, selling 16,000 downloads in the week ending Jan. 22 according to Nielsen SoundScan.
It’s the best sales week for the song since SoundScan began tracking downloads in 2003.
The fundraiser took place at New York’s Apollo Theater, where Green was also making an appearance. As Obama took to the stage, he noted Green’s presence in the room and surprised the crowd (and his aides) with the opening line.
“Those guys didn’t think I would do it,” joked Obama, gesturing to his staffers on the side of the stage. “I told you I was going to do it. The Sandman did not come out.”
While there are multiple videos of the moment on YouTube, the most-viewed clip has been watched more than 4 million times. Watch below.
- BET Awards Fashion on Fleek (Watch)
- ‘Star Trek's’ George Takei: Clarence Thomas is ‘A Clown in Blackface’ (WATCH)
- Shocking Radiation Experiments on Black Children Left Holes in Head (Watch)
- Lupita Nyong’o Joins the Fight Against Elephant Poaching
- Tiger Woods in Denial Mode About Affair with Fellow Golfer’s Ex-Wife
- Jesse Jackson Blasts Twitter for Lack of Black and Minority Employees
- TMZ Claims Someone is Shopping Bobbi Kristina's Death Bed Photo
- Dwyane Wade Resigns with the Miami Heat.
- Red, White, and Bruised: Decades of Mistreatment Spark Anti-Patriotic Outrage Among Black Americans
- Charlene Crowell: SCOTUS Ruling Preserves Key Fair Housing Tool
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here