*After video of the president singing the first line of Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together” went viral last week, the R&B classic posted its best download sales week since 2003.
Since President Barack Obama broke out in song at the Jan. 19 fundraising event, the tune enjoyed a 490 percent weekly sales increase, selling 16,000 downloads in the week ending Jan. 22 according to Nielsen SoundScan.
It’s the best sales week for the song since SoundScan began tracking downloads in 2003.
The fundraiser took place at New York’s Apollo Theater, where Green was also making an appearance. As Obama took to the stage, he noted Green’s presence in the room and surprised the crowd (and his aides) with the opening line.
“Those guys didn’t think I would do it,” joked Obama, gesturing to his staffers on the side of the stage. “I told you I was going to do it. The Sandman did not come out.”
While there are multiple videos of the moment on YouTube, the most-viewed clip has been watched more than 4 million times. Watch below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Jennifer Hudson Signs W/ Epic Records
- Stacey Dash Announces Her Own Political Party, 'Dash America'
- Trick Daddy is Spitting Mad ... About Some Woman in Viral Video
- BET Drops Trailer for New Edition Biopic [Watch]
- WNBA's Candace Parker Shares Handwritten Recruitment Letter from Pat Summitt
- No Designers Wanted to Dress Leslie Jones for 'Ghostbusters' Red Carpet
- Drake Struggles With 'Work Banter' in Cut ‘SNL’ Sketch (Watch)
- Stranger Defends Teen Harassed for Selling Candy Outside Target (Watch)
- Chris Brown Responds to Recent Exits from ‘People Claiming to Be My Team’
- Shirley Caesar Receives Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame (Watch Full Ceremony)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here