*After video of the president singing the first line of Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together” went viral last week, the R&B classic posted its best download sales week since 2003.
Since President Barack Obama broke out in song at the Jan. 19 fundraising event, the tune enjoyed a 490 percent weekly sales increase, selling 16,000 downloads in the week ending Jan. 22 according to Nielsen SoundScan.
It’s the best sales week for the song since SoundScan began tracking downloads in 2003.
The fundraiser took place at New York’s Apollo Theater, where Green was also making an appearance. As Obama took to the stage, he noted Green’s presence in the room and surprised the crowd (and his aides) with the opening line.
“Those guys didn’t think I would do it,” joked Obama, gesturing to his staffers on the side of the stage. “I told you I was going to do it. The Sandman did not come out.”
While there are multiple videos of the moment on YouTube, the most-viewed clip has been watched more than 4 million times. Watch below.
- Fox Gives ‘Empire’ Fans Early Prep for Season 2 with 22-Minute Featurette (WATCH)
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Marriage Inspires New Sitcom
- Tyler, the Creator Banned from UK Over 'Terrorist' Lyrics
- Shannon J. Miles Arrested As Suspect in Killing of Texas Deputy
- Nicole Murphy Addresses Nick Cannon Dating Rumors
- Cedric the Entertainer Hosts 3rd Annual Celebrity Golf Classic [Photos]
- Lorenzo Brown, Husband of Sister-2-Sister Publisher Jamie Brown, Dies of Cancer
- (The Black Hat) Serena Williams is a Winner, Not a Cover Girl
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'The Martian': 'Love Letter to Science' -- Matt Damon
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here