*Coming this January, Oprah is welcoming the cast of “Roots” into her Montecito, Calif. home for an intimate reunion.
The epic and classic series, which includes Cicely Tyson, LeVar Burton, Leslie Uggams, John Amos, Louis Gossett, Jr., and Ben Vereen, first debuted 35 years ago, sweeping the nation and bringing African Americans back home.
“Roots 35 Years Later” will include clips from the production as well as in depth interviews.
“‘Roots’ forever changed television,” according to an OWN press release. “For the first time, TV viewers white and black experienced a part of American history through the eyes of slaves. For many it marked an awakening … and for the participating actors and actresses, it was nothing short of a spiritual experience.”
The move is part of OWN’s way of marketing to a black audience, being that one of the network’s goals is to win over the minority masses.
The reunion special will air on Jan. 16, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
- Al Roker’s ‘Wake Up With Al’ Show Cancelled Over Email Fight
- 53rd New York Film Festival Headed for Another Great Run
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Dorien Wilson is ‘In The Cut’ on Bounce TV with Jackee’ Harry
- Celebs U Wish U Could Party with on Labor Day Weekend (PHOTOS)
- Gilbert Arenas' Assistant Convicted For Robbing Him of $2.1 Million
- Bobbi Kristina’s Family Upset Over Nick Gordon Visiting Gravesite: Report
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Donald Trump's Campaign Will Ultimately Fail (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here