*Coming this January, Oprah is welcoming the cast of “Roots” into her Montecito, Calif. home for an intimate reunion.
The epic and classic series, which includes Cicely Tyson, LeVar Burton, Leslie Uggams, John Amos, Louis Gossett, Jr., and Ben Vereen, first debuted 35 years ago, sweeping the nation and bringing African Americans back home.
“Roots 35 Years Later” will include clips from the production as well as in depth interviews.
“‘Roots’ forever changed television,” according to an OWN press release. “For the first time, TV viewers white and black experienced a part of American history through the eyes of slaves. For many it marked an awakening … and for the participating actors and actresses, it was nothing short of a spiritual experience.”
The move is part of OWN’s way of marketing to a black audience, being that one of the network’s goals is to win over the minority masses.
The reunion special will air on Jan. 16, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
- Bobbi Kristina's Body Released for Burial
- Rashida Jones Dropped Robin Thicke for Al B. Sure in Junior High
- TV Land’s ‘Soul Man’ Renewed for Fifth and Final Season
- Nick Gordon Has ‘Suffered Greatly’ Over Bobbi Kristina, Says His Mom
- Lee Daniels, L.A. Reid to Speak at Mariah Carey’s Hollywood Star Ceremony
- Chicago Police Tow Car With Deceased Bodies Inside...Public Raises Hell! (Watch)
- Cops Kept Rihanna from Performing Free Freddie Gray Concert
- Steven Ivory: GOP and Trump—Pot, Meet Kettle
- Report: Whitney Decides Where Fortune Goes; Bobby Screwed
- Hasselbeck: Sandra Bland Could've Used Cigarette as a Weapon (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here