*Kelly Rowland and Black Eyed Peas star will.i.am are among the bevy of celebs who have tweeted tribute to Etta James following her death earlier today.
The legendary singer passed away aged 73 following a battle with leukemia.
Rowland wrote on her Twitter page: “CLASSIC. ONE OF A KIND. PURE SOUL. ETTA JAMES! Thank You for gracing us with your incredible talent & presence! (sic)”
Will.i.am also paid tribute by tweeting: “Showing respect appreciation and love for all the wonderful music and joy #ettajames brought to the world…#ettajamesforever (sic)”
Also paying tribute to the star was Chic’s Nile Rodgers, who recalled, “When I was a kid, I remember walking all the way to Flash Record Shop in LA to buy a 45 rpm single by Etta James Rip,” while the reach of James went beyond the music world with British comedian James Corden saying “Etta James. What a life. May she rest in peace.”
Etta had been diagnosed with leukemia in 2010, according to her longtime friend and manager, Lupe De Leon, and died in hospital in Riverside, California. Last month, James – who has battled dementia and kidney disease during the past few years – was hospitalized after experiencing breathing difficulties but was discharged on Jan. 6.
A conservatorship hearing over the singer’s $1 million estate was conducted earlier this week with her singer’s son, Donto James, asking to be conservator rather than her husband, Artis Mills.
Others paying tribute include Bryan Adams, typing, “Etta James…one of the best voices of all time…RIP”; and Nathan Followill, drummer of Kings Of Leon, who commented, “Rip Etta James. One of the greatest voices of all time. Thanks for the many romantic moments your music created.”
Rap mogul Russell Simmons posts, “Rip Etta James”, while The Roots star ?uestlove adds, “rip to Etta James. i will hold the torch high for The Roots name in your honor.”
Motley Crue rocker Nikki Sixx writes, “Rip Etta James. Your music soothed and ignited passion in so many of us” and rapper MC Hammer remembers: “When she sang she had the Gift to become ‘The Song’, the pain, the love, the Glory. Rip Etta James”.
Actress Jessica Alba tweets, “Rip EttaJames u r (sic) a legend and 1 of my all time favs -thank you for giving us all the gift of song -what a voice!” and R&B star Kelly Rowland writes, “Classic. One Of A Kind. Pure Soul. Etta James! Thank You for gracing us with your incredible talent & presence!”
British pop star Jessie J posts, “Just been told the legend that is Etta James has passed. Thank you for your voice your dedication to us and your gift. Your voice is timeless and will forever live on. I will always look to you for inspiration. R.I.P”
Meanwhile, former Cheers star Kirstie Alley remembered James by tweeting lyrics from her classic song “At Last” as other tributes poured in from actors Mia Farrow, Jamie Bell, Denise Richards and Emmy Rossum, singer Estelle, country star Chely Wright and Paramore’s Hayley Williams.
- Black Comedienne to Compete on New Season of 'Last Comic Standing' (WATCH)
- Brittney Griner Rebounds with Beauty Named Lola
- Jill Scott On Bill Cosby, 'Being a Beloved Black Man Is Dangerous
- Ja Rule Ready to Show Different Side in MTV Family Docuseries 'Follow the Rules'
- REPORT: Congressman Chaka Fattah (Dem/PA) Indicted in Racketeering Case
- Ohio Cop Ray Tensing Indicted for Murder of Samuel DuBose (Video of Shooting)
- Nick Gordon Eyed for Prosecution; Spotted Wearing Bobbi Kristina’s Ring
- Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral to be Private
- Whoopi Defends Elisabeth Hasselbeck Against Racism Claims: 'She Never Asked Me to Pick Cotton' (Watch)
- Jaden Smith Drops Video for New Track ‘Scarface’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here