*BET has given itself a facelift and is slowly recovering from its ravished programming. With the introduction of more serious players, the network is on its way to a new level of respect in the Black community and among its media competitors.
Starting at the top of the year, the network is introducing award-winning CNN journalist, T.J. Holmes as part of the family.
It’s all a part of a multi-platform deal with the network.
His new move is quite a change for him, but he’s excited about it.
“[The opportunity] came out of nowhere and I wasn’t expecting it, but man the stars aligned and this is just the perfect time and the perfect opportunity for me,” he shared with Multichannel.com.
Moving from a major network to another wasn’t a random choice. The reporter explained that his inspiration came when he was forced to think of a network with Black faces.
In all the conversations I was having with the folks at BET, one thing they said really struck me: ‘Where can black people go when they get home from work and turn on the TV to see people who look like them, talk like
them and discuss things that are important to them?’ I opened my mouth to respond but nothing came out because there’s a void for the type of show that we get to an extent on morning radio with the Steve Harveys and Tom Joyners of the world where they’re discussing things and issues relevant to the black community. There’s no place to get that on TV anywhere at anytime. So for me the opportunity to speak to my community at this point in my career in this country’s history was too good to pass up.”
Read the full interview here.
- LAPD on #100days100nights: 'Things Have Calmed Down'
- Tami Roman Reveals Health Issues Causing Pregnancy Woes
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- NBC Reportedly Close to Signing Beyonce for ‘The Wiz Live’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here