*In an interview with NBC’s “Today,” Aretha Franklin tells Al Roker that believed Whitney Houston had overcome her demons and was primed for a comeback, which made learning of the troubled singer’s death all the more shocking.
The Queen of Soul said she was watching TV in her hotel room in Charlotte, N.C., when she learned of Houston’s death in Beverly Hills, Calif.
“I just jumped up off the side of the bed: ‘What?! This could not be!'”
Franklin said she had seen recent video of Houston who she says looked good.
“She looked healthy and she looked gorgeous. And I thought, ‘Yes, she has conquered her challenges and she’s on the way.'”
Aretha says fans should remember Whitney Houston for her artistry and not focus on the challenges she faced with substance abuse.
Recalling how Houston’s smile made her eyes twinkle, Franklin then recited a poem she wrote in Houston’s memory:
“Twinkle, twinkle superstar,
We don’t wonder where you are.
Up above the world so bright,
Like a diamond in the night.
Twinkle, twinkle, she stood alone.
I can’t believe that she’s gone.”
Aretha will sing at Houston’s funeral tomorrow, Saturday, in Newark, N.J.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Christopher 'Play' Martin to Speak at Suny-Oneonta Monday Nov. 30
- A 'Broke' 50 Cent Flaunts Stacks of Cash in Fridge (WATCH)
- Here’s why the Alleged Planned Parenthood Killer Isn’t called a Domestic Terrorist
- Pilar Sanders Will Have to Pay Deion Sanders $2.2M and Go Back to Jail
- Police Erased Video of Laquan McDonald Shooting: Burger King Manager
- Phaedra Blogs Support for Cynthia and Peter During Marital Drama
- Tyra Banks Not Feuding with Chrissy Teigen, Chooses Beauty Brand Over 'FABLife'
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here