*Chris Rock is among the nation’s wealthy Americans who believe that folks in his income bracket should be taxed at higher rates.
“I can pay higher taxes and people can have jobs or I can pay lower taxes and I have my kids’ teacher asking me for a loan because she’s going to lose her house, which is true,” said Rock, who is worth an estimated $70 million, according to celebertynetworth.com. “Stuff like that happens, so I’m going to lose the money no matter what.” [Scroll down to watch.]
Rock joins billionaire businessman Warren Buffett and other super-wealthy celebrities in calling to raise taxes on themselves.
Buffett brought the issue into the spotlight when he penned an op-ed in The New York Times in August, arguing that the super-rich should pay taxes at a rate that is the same or higher than that of the middle class. Obama’s “Buffett Rule,” inspired by the investor, became a major selling point of the American Jobs Act and State of the Union address.
Buffett’s fellow billionaire and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates has also recently spoken out in favor of raising taxes on the rich. In October he told ABC News that he’s “generally in favor of the idea that the rich should pay somewhat more” than everyone else in taxes.
Along with them, Def Jam co-founder Russell Simmons has also come out in support of leveling the playing field between the rich and the poor — he went as far as offering to pay to clean up Zuccotti Park late last year in order to prevent a confrontation between Occupy protesters and police. In addition, Russell’s friend Jay-Z visited the park and even tried to market Occupy-themed t-shirts.
The notion of raising taxes on the rich also has some more surprising supporters. Alan Greenspan, the former Federal Reserve Chairman and a registered Republican, said in October that he favors letting those tax cuts for the wealthy passed under George W. Bush expire.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Senator Oscar Braynon Presents 4th Choice Challenge
- THE (05-06-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ralph Fiennes and Tilda Swinton Are Tortured Souls in 'A Bigger Splash'
- Ashanti Produces New Film ('Mothers and Daughters') with Superstar Cast (Watch)
- Birdman on 'Respek' Trending & Confronting The Breakfast Club
- Report Says Percocet Found in Prince's System
- Rappers Arrested for Credit Card Fraud after Rapping about Crimes in Songs
- L. A. City Hall Salutes 'Prince' on Friday, May 6, (Open to Public FREE)
- Alicia Keys Drops New Single - Ellen's $10,000 Gift to Dance Crew (WATCH)
- Prince’s ‘Kiss’ Performed Randomly on Subway Just Days Before He Died (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here