*CNN commentator Roland Martin says he will meet with GLAAD following his suspension Wednesday for tweets during the Super Bowl that the group deemed homophobic.
Calling Martin’s tweets “regrettable and offensive,” CNN said Martin would “not be appearing on our air for the time being.” Martin later said on Twitter that he would meet with GLAAD, as the group had requested, after he apologized Tuesday for the Super Bowl tweets.
“I look forward to meeting with GLAAD in the near future and having a productive dialogue,” he tweeted.
The group tweeted back, “We look forward to a productive dialogue and to working together as well.”
The hubbub began Sunday with two of Martin’s tweets that GLAAD said seemed to advocate violence against gays.
“If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham’s H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him!” he said in one tweet. In the other, he said, “Who the hell was that New England Patriot they just showed in a head to toe pink suit? Oh, he needs a visit from #teamwhipdatass.”
Martin later apologized, saying he did not advocate violence against gays or bullying. He also said he himself had been bullied.
To signal that he took the issue seriously, Martin also reported on Wednesday about Brandon White, a 20-year-old gay man who was viciously beaten by a gang of men shouting anti-gay slurs in Atlanta.
Details of Martin’s meeting with GLAAD are still being determined, the group said.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’ Lawyers in Jerry Heller Case Want Judge to Watch Entire Film for Context
- If You're the Mother of a Teen Girl, You'll Want to Know About This
- Michael Jace Told Wife Before Shooting Her, ‘If You Like Running, Then Run To Heaven’, Son Testifies
- John Legend’s ‘Granny’ Meets Great Granddaughter Luna Simone (Pic)
- EUR Exclusive! Tyler Perry in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Clip #TMNT2 (WATCH)
- Prince Sax Player Joins FAMU Wind Symphony for Beautiful 'Purple Rain' Performance (Watch)
- Grad Party Cancels T.I. Gig after Shooting; Wants $55,000 Payment Back
- Google Announces $250,000 in Grants for Flint, MI Water Crisis
- THE (05-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Johnny Gill Celebrates 50th and EUR was on the Scene (Video/Photos)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here