*CNN commentator Roland Martin says he will meet with GLAAD following his suspension Wednesday for tweets during the Super Bowl that the group deemed homophobic.
Calling Martin’s tweets “regrettable and offensive,” CNN said Martin would “not be appearing on our air for the time being.” Martin later said on Twitter that he would meet with GLAAD, as the group had requested, after he apologized Tuesday for the Super Bowl tweets.
“I look forward to meeting with GLAAD in the near future and having a productive dialogue,” he tweeted.
The group tweeted back, “We look forward to a productive dialogue and to working together as well.”
The hubbub began Sunday with two of Martin’s tweets that GLAAD said seemed to advocate violence against gays.
“If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham’s H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him!” he said in one tweet. In the other, he said, “Who the hell was that New England Patriot they just showed in a head to toe pink suit? Oh, he needs a visit from #teamwhipdatass.”
Martin later apologized, saying he did not advocate violence against gays or bullying. He also said he himself had been bullied.
To signal that he took the issue seriously, Martin also reported on Wednesday about Brandon White, a 20-year-old gay man who was viciously beaten by a gang of men shouting anti-gay slurs in Atlanta.
Details of Martin’s meeting with GLAAD are still being determined, the group said.
- Nick Gordon's Defense in Bobbi Kristina Case: Drugs Responsible
- Man Breaks Down After Recognizing Judge As Former Classmate (WATCH)
- Patty Farmer's 'Playboy Swings' Releases in September
- Thriller: Sanaa, Ealy & Chestnut in Trailer for 'The Perfect Guy' (WATCH)
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here