*CNN commentator Roland Martin says he will meet with GLAAD following his suspension Wednesday for tweets during the Super Bowl that the group deemed homophobic.
Calling Martin’s tweets “regrettable and offensive,” CNN said Martin would “not be appearing on our air for the time being.” Martin later said on Twitter that he would meet with GLAAD, as the group had requested, after he apologized Tuesday for the Super Bowl tweets.
“I look forward to meeting with GLAAD in the near future and having a productive dialogue,” he tweeted.
The group tweeted back, “We look forward to a productive dialogue and to working together as well.”
The hubbub began Sunday with two of Martin’s tweets that GLAAD said seemed to advocate violence against gays.
“If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham’s H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him!” he said in one tweet. In the other, he said, “Who the hell was that New England Patriot they just showed in a head to toe pink suit? Oh, he needs a visit from #teamwhipdatass.”
Martin later apologized, saying he did not advocate violence against gays or bullying. He also said he himself had been bullied.
To signal that he took the issue seriously, Martin also reported on Wednesday about Brandon White, a 20-year-old gay man who was viciously beaten by a gang of men shouting anti-gay slurs in Atlanta.
Details of Martin’s meeting with GLAAD are still being determined, the group said.
- Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable Awards Mumia Abu Jamal Health Fund
- THE (09-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- (The Black Hat) Nicki Minaj: The White Girl Hunter
- 'Meet the Celebrities on Your Own Terms' in Upcoming Workshop for Aspiring Writers (Photos!)
- Neighbors Complain Kardashians Wasting Water During Drought
- Will Packer Marries Longtime Love in Surprise Atlanta Wedding
- Phoenix Mother Allegedly Drowns Twin Boys Because 'No One Loved Them'
- How ABC Wooed Tyra Banks Back Into Daytime with 'FABLife'
- Amber Rose, Blac Chyna Twerk in Uber En Route to VMAs (Watch)
- Trick Daddy Files for Bankruptcy Amid Child Support Bills
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here