*Today we learned the sad news of Gospel singer David Peaston passing away at the young age of 54.*
Peaston was diagnosed with diabetes and had his legs amputated, forcing him to use prosthesis.
Details of his death are not available yet.
But, considering many don’t know much about this Gospel legend, we wanted to provide the top 10 facts you didn’t know about Peaston.
1. Where was he born?
Peaston was born in St. Louis, Missouri in 1957.
2. Family of Singers
Peaston’s mother, Martha Bass, was a member of The Clara Ward Singers gospel group. His older sister is R&B/soul singer Fontella Bass. They recorded a gospel album with Fontella and Martha Bass entitled Promises: A Family Portrait Of Faith.
3. Showtime at the Apollo?
In the late 1980s, Peaston won several competitions on the Showtime at the Apollo television show, winning over the audience with a powerful rendition of “God Bless the Child.”
4. Soul Train Music Award Winner
Peaston won a Soul Train Music Award for Best R&B/Soul or Rap New Artist.
Many don’t know that Peaston was a teacher before he became a Gospel singer.
6. Big City of Dreams
Peaston was laid off as a teacher and then decided to move to NYC to pursue his dreams.
7. Billboard Singles.
Peaston had six singles that charted on the Billboard R&B/Gospel charts.
- Introducing…David Peaston (1988)
- Mixed Emotions (1991)
- Song Book: Songs of Soul & Inspiration
9. Diabetes and Leg Amputation
Peaston has since been diagnosed with diabetes and had his legs amputated, forcing him to use prosthesis.
10. Last Album
David Peaston returned to music with his album, Song Book: Songs of Soul & Inspiration in 2006.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- BET Drops Trailer for New Edition Biopic [Watch]
- WNBA's Candace Parker Shares Handwritten Recruitment Letter from Pat Summitt
- No Designers Wanted to Dress Leslie Jones for 'Ghostbusters' Red Carpet
- Drake Struggles With 'Work Banter' in Cut ‘SNL’ Sketch (Watch)
- Stranger Defends Teen Harassed for Selling Candy Outside Target (Watch)
- Chris Brown Responds to Recent Exits from ‘People Claiming to Be My Team’
- Shirley Caesar Receives Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame (Watch Full Ceremony)
- Tyrese Gibson Back as Robert Epps for ‘Transformers: The Last Knight’
- Nate Parker to Receive Sundance Institute’s Vanguard Award
- Idris Elba, Freida Pinto Set for John Ridley’s Showtime Miniseries ‘Guerrilla’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here