*Today we learned the sad news of Gospel singer David Peaston passing away at the young age of 54.*
Peaston was diagnosed with diabetes and had his legs amputated, forcing him to use prosthesis.
Details of his death are not available yet.
But, considering many don’t know much about this Gospel legend, we wanted to provide the top 10 facts you didn’t know about Peaston.
1. Where was he born?
Peaston was born in St. Louis, Missouri in 1957.
2. Family of Singers
Peaston’s mother, Martha Bass, was a member of The Clara Ward Singers gospel group. His older sister is R&B/soul singer Fontella Bass. They recorded a gospel album with Fontella and Martha Bass entitled Promises: A Family Portrait Of Faith.
3. Showtime at the Apollo?
In the late 1980s, Peaston won several competitions on the Showtime at the Apollo television show, winning over the audience with a powerful rendition of “God Bless the Child.”
4. Soul Train Music Award Winner
Peaston won a Soul Train Music Award for Best R&B/Soul or Rap New Artist.
Many don’t know that Peaston was a teacher before he became a Gospel singer.
6. Big City of Dreams
Peaston was laid off as a teacher and then decided to move to NYC to pursue his dreams.
7. Billboard Singles.
Peaston had six singles that charted on the Billboard R&B/Gospel charts.
- Introducing…David Peaston (1988)
- Mixed Emotions (1991)
- Song Book: Songs of Soul & Inspiration
9. Diabetes and Leg Amputation
Peaston has since been diagnosed with diabetes and had his legs amputated, forcing him to use prosthesis.
10. Last Album
David Peaston returned to music with his album, Song Book: Songs of Soul & Inspiration in 2006.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Erykah Badu on Azealia Banks Beef: 'We Can Spiral Out of Control With Style'
- ‘Creed’ Dir. Ryan Coogler Pays Tribute to His Father in 'Rocky' Spin-Off
- Black Fox News Co-Host Asked if She 'Makes Kool-Aid' (WATCH)
- President Obama's Statement Regarding Laquan McDonald Murder
- Dr. Rapp: Enjoy Patti's Pie, Avoid Fatti's Pounds
- Nick Canon Talks 'Chi-Raq' & Calls Nicki Minaj A THOT?!
- One Year Since His Death, Tamir Rice's Mother Still Seeking Justice
- Old Email from Farrell, PA's New Police Chief Includes the Word 'N*gger' and Prompts Outrage ... and Support from the Town's Black Mayor
- 60% of Staff at Movie Theater in Connecticut Have a Disability
- Bowlegged Lou's Personal Insight Into TV One's UnSung Marathon
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here