*Los Angeles — The National Domestic Workers Alliance congratulates actress Octavia Spencer on winning the Oscar for best supporting actress for her performance as Minny, a domestic worker, in “The Help.”
At a special Oscar viewing party in Los Angeles, domestic workers erupted in applause at Ms. Spencer’s win, chanting, “We are the Help!” According to Carmen Lima, the daughter of a domestic worker attending the party, “All domestic won because Octavia won.”
In response to Ms. Spencer’s victory, NDWA co-founder and executive director Ai-jen Poo made the following statement:
“Ms. Spencer’s win is a profound victory for a talented artist and for domestic workers everywhere. We thank her for lifting up the stories of domestic workers and the dignity of the work. But the biggest win happened before the event tonight started. A movie with a powerful message and a cast of strong women characters including some of the most invisible women in society – domestic workers – was seen by millions of people around the world. When women’s voices and stories are heard, anything is possible.”
About the National Domestic Workers Alliance
Co-founded in 2007 by award-winning social entrepreneur Ai-jen Poo (“The Nannies’ Norma Rae” –New York Times), the National Domestic Workers Alliance has 35 local, membership-based affiliate organizations of nannies, housekeepers and caregivers for the elderly located in 19 cities and 11 states around the country.
Media Relations Strategist,
FitzGibbon Media, Inc.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- No, Pres. Obama Is NOT Giving $1000 to Everyone on Food Stamps
- UConn Revokes Bill Cosby’s Honorary Degree for Conduct 'Incongruent' With Their Values
- Questlove Joins New York Public Radio’s Board of Trustees
- Kevin Hart Scouting Talent for His ‘Laugh Out Loud’ On-Demand Channel
- Moniece Slaughter to Tank: 'You're Disgusting' for Shameful 'Stalker' Story [EUR Exclusive]
- 'We Are Charleston' Commemorates 1st-year Anniversary of 'The Emanuel Nine'
- Oprah Winfrey Set for First-ever Appearance at 2016 Essence Festival
- Steven Ivory: Farewell to P-Funk’s Bernie Worrell
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams, Madison Keys Advance to 3rd Round; Sloane Stephens Reaches Rain-Delayed 2nd
- Chris Brown Snatches Phone Away From Woman Recording Him (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here