*Los Angeles — The National Domestic Workers Alliance congratulates actress Octavia Spencer on winning the Oscar for best supporting actress for her performance as Minny, a domestic worker, in “The Help.”
At a special Oscar viewing party in Los Angeles, domestic workers erupted in applause at Ms. Spencer’s win, chanting, “We are the Help!” According to Carmen Lima, the daughter of a domestic worker attending the party, “All domestic won because Octavia won.”
In response to Ms. Spencer’s victory, NDWA co-founder and executive director Ai-jen Poo made the following statement:
“Ms. Spencer’s win is a profound victory for a talented artist and for domestic workers everywhere. We thank her for lifting up the stories of domestic workers and the dignity of the work. But the biggest win happened before the event tonight started. A movie with a powerful message and a cast of strong women characters including some of the most invisible women in society – domestic workers – was seen by millions of people around the world. When women’s voices and stories are heard, anything is possible.”
About the National Domestic Workers Alliance
Co-founded in 2007 by award-winning social entrepreneur Ai-jen Poo (“The Nannies’ Norma Rae” –New York Times), the National Domestic Workers Alliance has 35 local, membership-based affiliate organizations of nannies, housekeepers and caregivers for the elderly located in 19 cities and 11 states around the country.
Media Relations Strategist,
FitzGibbon Media, Inc.
- Of 10,000 Facebook Employees Only 1% Black - None Are Execs
- NFL Players' Crazy Answers Make for Hilarious 'Family Feud' (WATCH)
- Transgender Heckler Tells why She Interrupted Pres. Obama
- Rain Pryor Talks Race, Richard Pryor and ‘Fried Chicken & Latkes’
- Exclusive: Dayo Okeniyi Has Pivotal Role in 'Terminator Genysis'
- Dr. Rosie Milligan: The Malignant Hate Cancer Took Nine Lives
- Allen West: Confederate Flag is ‘Manufactured Political Crisis’ by Left
- Panel Photos: Beautiful Textures Presents 'Who Wore What,' BET Awards Fashion Recap [Photos]
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: Why Are So Many Schools Still Named Robert E. Lee?
- The Socialist's Journal: Quick Hits Part 2
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here