*Tony Cornelius, who worked alongside his father Don Cornelius on “Soul Train” and other shows, said his father placed a call to him on the day he died, reports CBS News.
Tony did not elaborate on the conversation, but said, “It was a call of urgency, and I came to his home immediately.”
Cornelius said his father was a private person and was “unhappy about some things” in his life. His father’s health, also, he said, was failing.
“My father was extremely private and unfortunately, when you’re a private person, you keep things inside,” Cornelius told Gayle King on “CBS This Morning.” “You know, it’s hard to imagine that you would — how you feel. You have to be in a person’s shoes really to understand. Obviously, me being extremely close to him, I could tell that he was uncomfortable. But our family could never know that he would — how uncomfortable he really was.”
Cornelius said his father would want to be remembered as someone who worked hard at being a professional.
“He taught me everything I know about TV production and he just really wanted to serve,” he said. “(My father) wanted to make a statement. I think he really worked extremely hard to make sure that he presented a project that people could really enjoy. … I think his legacy would be that he really worked on the fine points. I mean, he’s always taught me about it’s the fine points that count and he wanted to achieve quality. He wanted to expose the masses to a new way of looking at black-oriented television. And he just worked really hard to make that happen.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Beyoncé Partners with Amex & Uber for 'Formation' Fan Experience
- Prince Family Money Fight! Sister Tyka Storms Out of Meeting
- Six Year Old Starved by Parents Forced to Eat Hot Dog Smoothies (Video)
- Master P's Ex Has 'Stripper' Goals - Meet Ayesha Curry's Alter Ego
- First Footage & New Character Pics from Tupac Biopic 'All Eyez On Me' (Watch)
- Pink Recalls the Time Prince Rejected Her Duet Request: 'I Told Him He Was a Rude F**k'
- New Trailer: Barack and Michelle's First Date in ‘Southside With You’
- Usher’s Snapchat Fail Results in Inadvertent D*** Pic
- NFL’s DeAndre Levy Urges Fellow Athletes to ‘Man Up’ Against Sexual Assault
- Urban Prep’s Entire Senior Class College Bound for 7th Consecutive Year
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here