He apologized to the Jewish community after being crowed king by Rabbi Ralph Messer at last Sunday’s service, as we reported.
“The ceremony was not my suggestion, nor was it my intent, to participate in any ritual that is offensive in any manner to the Jewish community,” Long wrote in a letter sent to Bill Nigut, Southeast Regional Director of the Anti-Defamation League.
Footage of the ceremony went up on YouTube and caught the eye of thousands of viewers who have had quite a mix of commentary.
But the ADL was quite appalled by the pageantry and the wrapping of Long in a Torah scroll while being carried on a throne.
Nigut commented that so-called rabbis like Messer are folk to keep a watchful eye of.
But Messer believes all has been misunderstood (like most things Long does).
“It was simply a way of bringing honor to a man who had given his life to the Lord and had given so much to his church, the Atlanta metro area and throughout the world,” he said.
And to avoid burning any more bridges, Long denounced his kingship.
“I denounce any action that depicts me as a king, for I am merely just a servant of the Lord.”
If you missed it, check out the ceremony here.
Also, Rabbi Messer has responded in the video below explaining the who, what, why, etc. of the now messy situation from his vantage point:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here