He apologized to the Jewish community after being crowed king by Rabbi Ralph Messer at last Sunday’s service, as we reported.
“The ceremony was not my suggestion, nor was it my intent, to participate in any ritual that is offensive in any manner to the Jewish community,” Long wrote in a letter sent to Bill Nigut, Southeast Regional Director of the Anti-Defamation League.
Footage of the ceremony went up on YouTube and caught the eye of thousands of viewers who have had quite a mix of commentary.
But the ADL was quite appalled by the pageantry and the wrapping of Long in a Torah scroll while being carried on a throne.
Nigut commented that so-called rabbis like Messer are folk to keep a watchful eye of.
But Messer believes all has been misunderstood (like most things Long does).
“It was simply a way of bringing honor to a man who had given his life to the Lord and had given so much to his church, the Atlanta metro area and throughout the world,” he said.
And to avoid burning any more bridges, Long denounced his kingship.
“I denounce any action that depicts me as a king, for I am merely just a servant of the Lord.”
If you missed it, check out the ceremony here.
Also, Rabbi Messer has responded in the video below explaining the who, what, why, etc. of the now messy situation from his vantage point:
- Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable Awards Mumia Abu Jamal Health Fund
- THE (09-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- (The Black Hat) Nicki Minaj: The White Girl Hunter
- 'Meet the Celebrities on Your Own Terms' in Upcoming Workshop for Aspiring Writers (Photos!)
- Neighbors Complain Kardashians Wasting Water During Drought
- Will Packer Marries Longtime Love in Surprise Atlanta Wedding
- Phoenix Mother Allegedly Drowns Twin Boys Because 'No One Loved Them'
- How ABC Wooed Tyra Banks Back Into Daytime with 'FABLife'
- Amber Rose, Blac Chyna Twerk in Uber En Route to VMAs (Watch)
- Trick Daddy Files for Bankruptcy Amid Child Support Bills
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here