*Most of us remember “if, then” statements from high school math. For example, if x+1=5, then 5-1=x. However, many of us continue to use this statement to apply to what we would like to see happen in our lives. If I had more money, I would go on vacation. If I had more time, I would hang out more with my friends. If I didn’t have children, then I would go back to school. If I was single, then I would follow my passion. If I was a man, then I would have gotten the promotion.
The biggest problem with “if’ing” our way through life is that we’re simply making excuses for not achieving what we say we want. How bad you want something will determine your willingness to sacrifice, time, money, indulgences, etc. to have it. If you want to hang out with your friends, you’ll find time. If you want a new job, you’ll get the skills and connections, if you want more money, you’ll determine how to make it.
What prevents us from going after what we really want, if we really want it? Usually it’s fear. Fear of failure. Fear of judgment. Fear of rejection. If we say we want to lose weight, but we can’t find the time, it may actually be that we’re afraid of failing. If we say we want a promotion, but blame not getting it on being a woman, then we may simply be afraid of further rejection.
Other times, we state things that we want because it’s popular to want them; however, we have no intention on going after them. The biggest problem with continuing to “if, then” is that over time, we may feel unaccomplished; particularly if we’ve voiced these to others along the way. Let’s encourage ourselves to determine our authentic “wants” and create a path to achieve them.
Let’s switch it up… try something new. If we do then we might reach that next level of fulfillment, living true!
Founder of Evidently Assured, brand strategy firm and the Founder of the Live Your Truth Experience (L.Y.T.E.). Monica is the Author of the new life changing book “The Things I Used to do to Sneeze!: How to live an authentic life with awesome sensation.” Email her at: [email protected]. Follow her via Twitter: @monicacost and Facebook.com/monicahairstoncost. www.monicacost.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Pics Surface of Alleged Khloe Kardashian/Odell Beckham Jr. Hookup at Drake's Party
- Why Alicia Keys is Not Wearing Makeup These Days
- Chuck D, B-Real, Tom Morello Form New Band 'Prophets of Rage'
- Dez Bryant Salutes Spelling Bee Co-Champ Who Threw His ‘X’ Sign
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace Convicted of Second-Degree Murder
- Comedian George Wallace: 'The Black But Equal Thing Don't Work for Us' [EUR EXCLUSIVE]
- Race and Cancer Survival: Blacks Less Likely to Survive (Writer Shares Personal Experience)
- Why Millions Would Join a Gorilla’s Lives Matter but Not Black Lives Matter
- Minor League Baseball Team to Honor Prince in Special 'Purple Game, Purple Game'
- Taraji P. Henson Among Honorees at Women in Film’s Crystal + Lucy Awards
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here