*Remember the unsolicited advice Michelle Obama got from Arianna Huffington about putting some time in the hood? Well, either the FLOTUS listened or just by coincidence, that’s exactly what she did on her trip to LA.
The LA Times is reporting that Mrs. Obama made a stop in Inglewood to visit the site of a future grocery store on Wednesday and spoke about the importance of bringing fresh food to disadvantaged communities.
The market, which will open in April in an empty warehouse on South Prairie Avenue, is part of a statewide push to reduce obesity by attracting grocers to low-income neighborhoods and making healthy food more accessible.
“I’m here today because I believe every family in our country should have access to healthy food,” she said to a group of community residents and leaders. “When we bring healthy food into our communities, we are not just making this generation of kids healthier, but we are working on the next and the next and the next.”
Obama said parents shouldn’t have to travel by bus or taxi to find a place to buy fruit for their children’s lunches. “It sounds so simple — a place that sells healthy food at reasonable prices so they can feed their families,” she said.
Read/learn MORE at LA Times.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (11-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 'Carol' Explores Lesbian Love in the 50s
- Uzo Aduba: 'Bigger, Higher and Braver,' Thanks to Queen Latifah
- Mystery Collector Buys Wu-Tang's Album for Millions / Usher's #Eggplant Confession
- The Rise, Fall and Legacy of Berry Gordy's Motown Returns to Broadway
- Kobe Bryant Announces Retirement Via Poem: 'Dear Basketball'
- Holly Holm Asks Beyoncé ‘What’s Your Name?’ in Awkward Vegas Moment
- EUR on the Scene: 'The Wiz Live!' [WATCH]
- Yaya DaCosta Files for Divorce After Two Years of Marriage
- Dennis Rodman Sued for Stiffing Company Out of $28k
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here