*Remember the unsolicited advice Michelle Obama got from Arianna Huffington about putting some time in the hood? Well, either the FLOTUS listened or just by coincidence, that’s exactly what she did on her trip to LA.
The LA Times is reporting that Mrs. Obama made a stop in Inglewood to visit the site of a future grocery store on Wednesday and spoke about the importance of bringing fresh food to disadvantaged communities.
The market, which will open in April in an empty warehouse on South Prairie Avenue, is part of a statewide push to reduce obesity by attracting grocers to low-income neighborhoods and making healthy food more accessible.
“I’m here today because I believe every family in our country should have access to healthy food,” she said to a group of community residents and leaders. “When we bring healthy food into our communities, we are not just making this generation of kids healthier, but we are working on the next and the next and the next.”
Obama said parents shouldn’t have to travel by bus or taxi to find a place to buy fruit for their children’s lunches. “It sounds so simple — a place that sells healthy food at reasonable prices so they can feed their families,” she said.
Read/learn MORE at LA Times.
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Stripped of WBO Title Over Nonpayment of Fee
- Whoopi: Bill Cosby is ‘Still Innocent Until Proven Guilty’; Raven-Symone Needs More Proof
- Bill Cosby Accusers Feel Vindicated with Newly Released Confession
- ‘Married To Medicine’s’ Quad & Lisa Nicole Cloud Cat Fightin' (WATCH)
- Neighbors Watch in Horror as Two Girls Jump from Burning Building
- Watch FSU QB De’Andre Johnson PUNCH Woman in Face; Gets Released
- EUR Speaks with Kem, Lalah Hathaway & Dee-1 At 2015 Essence Festival (WATCH)
- Beyoncé Video Inspires Curvy 68 Story Australian Skyscraper
- Turner's Two Cents: Obama Did Not Call Immigrants Gangbangers
- $2 Million Lawsuit Filed Against Former NBA Player Tyrone Hill
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here