*(Via Yahoo News) – Former South African President Nelson Mandela was hospitalized Saturday for a test to determine what is behind an undisclosed stomach ailment, and the country’s current leader said the much beloved 93-year-old icon was in no danger.
Mandela, a Nobel peace laureate who spent 27 years in prison for fighting racist white rule, has officially retired and last appeared in public in July 2010. He became South Africa’s first black president in 1994 and served one five-year term.
Mandela “has had a long-standing abdominal complaint and doctors feel it needs proper specialist medical attention,” President Jacob Zuma said in a statement Saturday morning, asking that Mandela’s privacy be respected.
In a follow-up statement later, Zuma added that Mandela had undergone a planned, undisclosed “diagnostic procedure.”
Read/learn more at Yahoo News.
- Deya Gets Direct with Single Men (WATCH)
- Kendrick Lamar Responds to Geraldo Rivera's Crazy Criticism
- BET Awards Fashion on Fleek (Watch)
- ‘Star Trek's’ George Takei: Clarence Thomas is ‘A Clown in Blackface’ (WATCH)
- Shocking Radiation Experiments on Black Children Left Holes in Head (Watch)
- Lupita Nyong’o Joins the Fight Against Elephant Poaching
- Tiger Woods in Denial Mode About Affair with Fellow Golfer’s Ex-Wife
- Jesse Jackson Blasts Twitter for Lack of Black and Minority Employees
- TMZ Claims Someone is Shopping Bobbi Kristina's Death Bed Photo
- Dwyane Wade Resigns with the Miami Heat.
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here