*(Via Yahoo News) – Former South African President Nelson Mandela was hospitalized Saturday for a test to determine what is behind an undisclosed stomach ailment, and the country’s current leader said the much beloved 93-year-old icon was in no danger.
Mandela, a Nobel peace laureate who spent 27 years in prison for fighting racist white rule, has officially retired and last appeared in public in July 2010. He became South Africa’s first black president in 1994 and served one five-year term.
Mandela “has had a long-standing abdominal complaint and doctors feel it needs proper specialist medical attention,” President Jacob Zuma said in a statement Saturday morning, asking that Mandela’s privacy be respected.
In a follow-up statement later, Zuma added that Mandela had undergone a planned, undisclosed “diagnostic procedure.”
Read/learn more at Yahoo News.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Theodore 'Ted' Myles Terry's 'Turn Me Loose' (Life & Times of Dick Gregory) a Success
- Ringside Update/ Thurman vs Porter A Clash of Young Titans
- EUR EXCLUSIVE: 'The Legend of Tarzan' Press Junket
- THE (06-29-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- The Legends of Bad A** Women: 'Tarzan' Ain't the Only One with a Jane
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Trailer Features 'Sledgehammer' from Rihanna (WATCH)
- Jennifer Hudson Signs W/ Epic Records
- Stacey Dash Announces Her Own Political Party, 'Dash America'
- Trick Daddy is Spitting Mad ... About Some Woman in Viral Video
- BET Drops Trailer for New Edition Biopic [Watch]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here