*(Via Yahoo News) – Former South African President Nelson Mandela was hospitalized Saturday for a test to determine what is behind an undisclosed stomach ailment, and the country’s current leader said the much beloved 93-year-old icon was in no danger.
Mandela, a Nobel peace laureate who spent 27 years in prison for fighting racist white rule, has officially retired and last appeared in public in July 2010. He became South Africa’s first black president in 1994 and served one five-year term.
Mandela “has had a long-standing abdominal complaint and doctors feel it needs proper specialist medical attention,” President Jacob Zuma said in a statement Saturday morning, asking that Mandela’s privacy be respected.
In a follow-up statement later, Zuma added that Mandela had undergone a planned, undisclosed “diagnostic procedure.”
Read/learn more at Yahoo News.
- Chris Brown's Baby Mama Nia Guzman Responds to Criminal Allegations
- The Socialist's Journal: Kim Davis
- (Min. Paul Scott) Why Black Minds Matter: Readin’, Writin’ and Revolution
- CurlKit Launches 'Curlstar Favorits Box' - Offering Consumers Instant Access to Brands Coveted by Superstars
- Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable Awards Mumia Abu Jamal Health Fund
- THE (09-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- (The Black Hat) Nicki Minaj: The White Girl Hunter
- 'Meet the Celebrities on Your Own Terms' in Upcoming Workshop for Aspiring Writers (Photos!)
- Neighbors Complain Kardashians Wasting Water During Drought
- Will Packer Marries Longtime Love in Surprise Atlanta Wedding
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here