*(Via Yahoo News) – Former South African President Nelson Mandela was hospitalized Saturday for a test to determine what is behind an undisclosed stomach ailment, and the country’s current leader said the much beloved 93-year-old icon was in no danger.
Mandela, a Nobel peace laureate who spent 27 years in prison for fighting racist white rule, has officially retired and last appeared in public in July 2010. He became South Africa’s first black president in 1994 and served one five-year term.
Mandela “has had a long-standing abdominal complaint and doctors feel it needs proper specialist medical attention,” President Jacob Zuma said in a statement Saturday morning, asking that Mandela’s privacy be respected.
In a follow-up statement later, Zuma added that Mandela had undergone a planned, undisclosed “diagnostic procedure.”
Read/learn more at Yahoo News.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Remodeling Your Home: The Risks You Need to Know
- THE (05-02-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- OMG! Did Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, Really Respond to My Friendly 'Hello?'
- Wendy Raquel Robinson Pays Tribute to Iconic Artist Prince
- Kelly Rowland's New Music Series Has Her Missing Destiny’s Child
- Tyra Banks, Misty Copeland to Speak During Essence Experience
- Tyler Perry Talks Following His Own Path to Saving OWN
- John Singleton and Gary Owen Score BET Series Deals
- Opinion: Presidential Correspondence Dinner not a Place for the word 'Ni*ga'
- Wendell James Grand Marshall for Long Beach Pride Parade
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here