*(Via Yahoo News) – Former South African President Nelson Mandela was hospitalized Saturday for a test to determine what is behind an undisclosed stomach ailment, and the country’s current leader said the much beloved 93-year-old icon was in no danger.
Mandela, a Nobel peace laureate who spent 27 years in prison for fighting racist white rule, has officially retired and last appeared in public in July 2010. He became South Africa’s first black president in 1994 and served one five-year term.
Mandela “has had a long-standing abdominal complaint and doctors feel it needs proper specialist medical attention,” President Jacob Zuma said in a statement Saturday morning, asking that Mandela’s privacy be respected.
In a follow-up statement later, Zuma added that Mandela had undergone a planned, undisclosed “diagnostic procedure.”
Read/learn more at Yahoo News.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Alexandra Shipp & the 'X-Men: Apocalypse’ Cast in the Big Apple
- Savion Glover's Feet Perform Magical Feats
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Police Test Bullets in T.I. Club Shooting to Determine Number of Guns Used
- Neil Brown Jr. Joins Issa Rae’s HBO Comedy ‘Insecure’
- Mariah Carey Checks Lee Daniels AND Wendy Williams for Saying She’s ‘Too Fragile’ (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton Reacts to ‘The Real’ Firing on Next ‘Braxton Family Values’ (Teaser)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here