*As previously reported in EUR, R&B and gospel singer, David Peaston passed away on Wednesday.
Even though it was suspected, official word brings that his death was caused by complications from diabetes, according to the St Louis Post-Dispatch. Peaston was 54.
Peaston fought a long battle against diabetes for years. In 2004, it resulted in the amputation of both his legs. In an interview the same year with Post-Dispatch, he blamed himself for acquiring the illness.
“I didn’t want to be back in the public. I wasn’t embarrassed or ashamed, but I felt I let myself down and, therefore, I let everyone else down. It was my fault for being sick, and I didn’t want anybody to see me like that.”
Known for his vocal range, the singer was a winner at “Showtime at the Apollo” and like many young artists, that’s where it all began.
His rise to fame began with hits “Can I” and “Two Wrongs (Don’t Make a Right)” (hear it below) and later his debut album, “Introducing … David Peaston.”
Following the success of his R&B career, he became the Soul Train Award winning for his rendition of “God Bless the Child.”
The night of his untimely death, messages from family, friends and fans began to circulate all over the Internet.
Friend Leslie Johnson, a St. Louis Gospel singer posted to his Facebook page:
“FB FAM…On tonight my friend, David Peaston, received his complete healing. He is now with God. Please keep his wife Marilyn, their children and his entire family in your prayers. Tonight, I dedicate my page to the memory of the Incomparable, ‘MR. DAVID PEASTON.’”
Another close friend, Cheryl Pepsii Riley sent an exclusive letter to EUR, praising the singer for his success and wishing his family all the best.
Peaston is the brother of “Rescue Me” singer Fontella Bass. His mother, Martha Bass, was a member of the Clara Ward singers.
Survivors include his wife Marilyn Peaston. Funeral details have not been made available as of this posting.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ciara, Kim Kardashian, Chrissy Teigen Cameo in Fergie’s New ‘M.I.L.F. $’ Video (Watch)
- NFL’s Jason Pierre Paul Shows Blown Up Hand in New Firework Safety PSA (Watch)
- Fugitive Shanika Minor from FBI’s Most Wanted List Caught in North Carolina Motel
- Tavis Smiley: Prince ‘Locked Himself in his Bedroom for Days' After Michael Jackson Died (Watch)
- Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles Cover Teen Vogue, Talk Body Acceptance (Video)
- Obama’s Favorites: Kendrick Lamar, Janelle Monae Set for July 4 Event at White House
- Cops Help Toss Chris Brown From Ibiza Rental Trashed With Urine and Vomit
- Alice Walker Writes Poem Inspired by Jesse Williams’ BET Awards Speech
- WATCH: Celebs Talk Summer Anthems at the 2016 BET Awards
- Opinion: Kanye West Not Worth a Billion dollars from Adidas Deal (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here