*As previously reported in EUR, R&B and gospel singer, David Peaston passed away on Wednesday.
Even though it was suspected, official word brings that his death was caused by complications from diabetes, according to the St Louis Post-Dispatch. Peaston was 54.
Peaston fought a long battle against diabetes for years. In 2004, it resulted in the amputation of both his legs. In an interview the same year with Post-Dispatch, he blamed himself for acquiring the illness.
“I didn’t want to be back in the public. I wasn’t embarrassed or ashamed, but I felt I let myself down and, therefore, I let everyone else down. It was my fault for being sick, and I didn’t want anybody to see me like that.”
Known for his vocal range, the singer was a winner at “Showtime at the Apollo” and like many young artists, that’s where it all began.
His rise to fame began with hits “Can I” and “Two Wrongs (Don’t Make a Right)” (hear it below) and later his debut album, “Introducing … David Peaston.”
Following the success of his R&B career, he became the Soul Train Award winning for his rendition of “God Bless the Child.”
The night of his untimely death, messages from family, friends and fans began to circulate all over the Internet.
Friend Leslie Johnson, a St. Louis Gospel singer posted to his Facebook page:
“FB FAM…On tonight my friend, David Peaston, received his complete healing. He is now with God. Please keep his wife Marilyn, their children and his entire family in your prayers. Tonight, I dedicate my page to the memory of the Incomparable, ‘MR. DAVID PEASTON.’”
Another close friend, Cheryl Pepsii Riley sent an exclusive letter to EUR, praising the singer for his success and wishing his family all the best.
Peaston is the brother of “Rescue Me” singer Fontella Bass. His mother, Martha Bass, was a member of the Clara Ward singers.
Survivors include his wife Marilyn Peaston. Funeral details have not been made available as of this posting.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Taye Diggs on ‘Rosewood’ Gig: ‘I Knew It Was Going to Be Fun’
- RECAP: Empire (S2, Ep9) Sinned Against
- Jason Kidd Suspended for Slapping Ball Out of Ref’s Hand (Watch)
- Mariah Carey, Ex-Husband Nick Cannon Spend Thanksgiving Together
- Siri Gives Taraji P. Henson Attitude in New Apple Music Ad
- Provocative New Ebook Details Trump and the GOP’s Race Baiting History and the White House Race
- Put the 'Black' Back in 'Black Friday'
- Kerry Washington Gives Props to her Hubby: ‘The Real Gladiator’
- Look! Patti LaBelle and James Wright Chanel Together Eatin', Dancin & Singin' (VIDEO/PHOTOS)
- Thousands of Protesters Disrupt Black Friday in Chicago
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here