*Police on Thursday said they plan to lock down streets near Saturday’s private funeral for Whitney Houston in her hometown of Newark, New Jersey and urged the thousands of fans expected to crowd the area to stay home, reports Reuters.
Houston will be laid to rest after the service at the New Hope Baptist Church, where she performed while growing up. Several blocks around the church will be cordoned off and fans will not be allowed near it, Newark police said on Thursday.
Newark Police Director Samuel DeMaio urged fans to watch the funeral on television – and he added there would be no procession from the funeral home where Houston’s body is resting to the church.
Meanwhile, Aretha Franklin as well as Stevie Wonder will perform at the service, a family spokesman said.
Houston, 48, died in a Beverly Hills hotel room Saturday on the eve of the music industry’s Grammy Awards. She was found underwater in a bathtub in her hotel room, according to police. Officials investigating Houston’s death have issued subpoenas for her medical records after finding prescription drugs in her hotel room.
The Los Angeles Coroner’s office said the move was standard procedure in such cases. The office has declined to release details of an initial autopsy on the singer, and is awaiting results of tests for drugs, alcohol and other substances that may have been in her system.
- Will Packer Marries Longtime Love in Surprise Atlanta Wedding
- Phoenix Mother Allegedly Drowns Twin Boys Because 'No One Loved Them'
- How ABC Wooed Tyra Banks Back Into Daytime with 'FABLife'
- Amber Rose, Blac Chyna Twerk in Uber En Route to VMAs (Watch)
- Trick Daddy Files for Bankruptcy Amid Child Support Bills
- MTV Wants Kanye West to Host 2016 Video Music Awards (Report)
- Iowa Poll: Ben Carson Suddenly In a Tie With Donald Trump
- DC’s NFL Team: RG3 Demoted; DeSean Jackson Pisses Off Women
- Hulk Hogan Says He Was Suicidal Over N-Word Scandal: ‘I'm Not A Racist’ (Watch)
- Producers of Katrina Relief Telethon Reflect on 'Kanye Moment' for 10th Anniversary
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here