*The show must go on! And it did.
Despite of the passing of Whitney Houston, and a lot of consternation, music mogul Clive Davis’ annual pre-Grammy party and showcase went on as scheduled Saturday night.
There were conflicting reports that the event had been cancelled because of Whitney’s death earlier in the day. But after announcements to the contrary, the show did proceed and the stars came out like they always do. Only this time it was to commiserate and celebrate the life of Whitney Houston.
With celebrities including Tony Bennett, Dr. Dre, Mary J. Blige, Jennifer Hudson in attendance, a somber Davis, reading from a sheet of paper, said: “I am personally devastated by the loss of someone who has meant so much to me. She was full of life, looking forward for tonight. She loved music and she loved this night that celebrated music.”
He added: “Whitney was a beautiful person and she had a talent beyond compare. She graced this stage … so many times. So simply put: Whitney would have wanted the music to go on.”
He dedicated the evening to her and asked for a moment of silence as a photo of the 48-year-old, hands wide open, looking to the sky, appeared on the screen.
Then, he said with excitement: “Now ladies and gentlemen, let the music begin.”
Below is a smattering of photos of those in the house for Saturday night’s event.
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- America: A Nation Under Sin or Love?
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here