*Roberta Flack has reached out to relatives of a slain New York City teen and offered to offset the costs of the boy’s funeral services following his sudden death last week.
Unarmed 18-year-old Ramarley Graham was shot dead by police in his Bronx apartment on Thursday. Officer Richard Haste and Sergeant Scott Morris have been placed on modified duty (stripped of their guns and badges) during the investigation into the shooting.
The boy’s story caught the attention of Flack, who met with Graham’s grieving family members over the weekend to offer her condolences and a $500 contribution towards a donation drive started by Al Sharpton.
She told reporters, “(The Grahams) are carrying on together as a group to express their outrage. They are carrying on together to get justice.”
According to the New York Post, a grand jury may be convened to consider criminal charges against the officers.
Activists planned a candlelight vigil in honor of the slain teen for Monday.
Graham was fatally shot once in the chest by police in the bathroom of his apartment Thursday after being chased there by cops. His grandmother Patricia Hartley, 58, was home and witnessed the shooting. The teen died at Montefiore Medical Center.
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: Why Are So Many Schools Still Named Robert E. Lee?
- The Socialist's Journal: Quick Hits Part 2
- THE (06-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- New Book! 'Diana Ross Reflections'
- EUR on the Scene: BET Experience Fan Fest 2015 (PHOTOS!)
- NeNe Leakes Announces She's Leaving 'Real Housewives of Atlanta'
- Child Dies on Father's Day After Dad Leaves Her in Hot Car to Go Drinking
- Jada Pinkett Smith 'Magic Mike XXL' & Objectification (Watch)
- Byron Jackson Brings 'DeSean Jackson: Home Team' to BET (WATCH)
- Diddy May Catch Break in UCLA Case, but Could Lose Liquor License
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here