*Simon Cowell called into CNN’s “Piers Morgan Tonight” on Saturday evening to talk about the sudden passing of Whitney Houston — and also confirmed that he was considering Houston as an “X Factor” judge.
“The rumors that had got back to us … and that’s often what happens when people want to be on these shows, somebody tells someone to get the word out, it’s normally a sign that they are interested,” Cowell told Piers Morgan, suggesting that Houston could have expressed interest in joining the Fox series.
Show insiders told The Hollywood Reporter that Houston had indeed expressed interest in the potential gig and was actively campaigning for it. Cowell said that Houston’s name was among those discussed and conversations about potential additions were to take place the day after the Grammy Awards.
“We were ironically going to meet on Monday and of course, one of the names we were going to be talking about in that meeting as a possible mentor on the new series of ‘X Factor’ was going to be Whitney Houston,” he said.
Cowell added, “Given the choice, I would have liked to have taken her under my wing as well, because she would have been the ultimate, ultimate mentor to any contestant coming on the show.”
The former “American Idol” judge was upset by Houston’s sudden passing.
“I am absolutely devastated by this news,” Cowell said. “I am so sad for her. She was undoubtedly one of the greatest superstars of all time. One of the greatest voices in our time we’re likely ever to hear.”
On Friday, sources told The Hollywood Reporter that Houston could be joining “X Factor” on the judges panel for its second season after host Steve Jones and judges Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger were ousted. Houston performed her single “Million Dollar Bill” on the U.K. version in October 2009.
Listen to Simon’s interview below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Khloe Kardashian Not Spending Thanksgiving With Lamar Odom
- Gonna Fly Now: ‘Creed’ Sets Pre-Thanksgiving Record with $1.4M Box Office
- Black Student Criticizes WWU For Ignoring Racist Threats Against Her
- EUR on Set with 'Rosewood's' Morris Chestnut & Taye Diggs WATCH)
- Greg Hardy Cancels Thanksgiving Nightclub Gig Over ‘Public Image’?
- South African Girl in Chris Rock’s Family Here On ‘Visitor Visa’
- Woman Nearly Burned House Down Trying Something She Saw on Facebook
- Rapper Lil Boosie Says He Has Kidney Cancer
- Kim Zolciak Emotional in ‘DWTS’ Return Following Stroke
- Gap Band Family Feud! Ronnie Wilson Sues Charlie Wilson
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here