*Fans of “Soul Train” boogied down Broadway wearing afro wigs and bell bottoms on Saturday while others recounted their favorite episodes at a Harlem meeting hall in tribute to the TV show’s late creator, Don Cornelius.
About 100 dancers descended on Times Square in a “flash mob” organized through the Internet. As startled tourists looked on, they recreated one of the show’s “Soul Train lines” in which people would take turns dancing toward a TV camera while showing off their most outrageous moves.
“Don Cornelius was a big influence in my life, and I just wanted to pay tribute,” said disc jockey Jon Quick, as he held up a speaker blasting disco grooves. “He was playing the music that nobody else wanted to play. He was an amazing man.”
Cornelius, 75, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound on Wednesday. He had suffered from health problems, a difficult divorce, and had pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor spousal battery charge in 2009.
But on Saturday fans praised Cornelius’ vision in creating, hosting and selling “Soul Train” to television stations that were originally skeptical about programming aimed at blacks. The show aired from 1971 to 2006.
“Don Cornelius brought soul to the whole world,” said Ramona Hamm, 37, who came to Times Square with her 9-year-old daughter, Kayla Charles. The dancers bounced down Broadway for about 45 minutes until police told the party to disperse.
Read/learn MORE at Yahoo News.
Check out video of the “Soul Train” flash mobbers gettin’ down in Times Square:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- FBI: No Evidence Orlando Gunman Omar Mateen Was Gay
- Vince Wilfork: 'Big Boned' NFL Lineman Brings the Sexy to ESPN's 'Body Issue' (PHOTOS)
- Tina Lawson Explains Why Beyonce Hated Her Wedding Dress
- Ciara, Kim Kardashian, Chrissy Teigen Cameo in Fergie’s New ‘M.I.L.F. $’ Video (Watch)
- NFL’s Jason Pierre Paul Shows Blown Up Hand in New Firework Safety PSA (Watch)
- Fugitive Shanika Minor from FBI’s Most Wanted List Caught in North Carolina Motel
- Tavis Smiley: Prince ‘Locked Himself in his Bedroom for Days' After Michael Jackson Died (Watch)
- Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles Cover Teen Vogue, Talk Body Acceptance (Video)
- Obama’s Favorites: Kendrick Lamar, Janelle Monae Set for July 4 Event at White House
- Cops Help Toss Chris Brown From Ibiza Rental Trashed With Urine and Vomit
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here