Since the death of the program’s creator, Don Cornelius, the Soul Train board is left with big shoes to fill and a vision to manifest.
Soul Train Holdings LLC, the entity created by NBA legend and entrepreneur Earvin “Magic” Johnson when he bought the “Soul Train” library and brand last year, has a lot of ideas. Among them are bringing a “Soul Train” variety show back to television, CEO Kenard Gibbs told The Associated Press.
“The brand itself, we believe, has far, far other entertainment-based tentacles we can stretch,” Gibbs said.
During a memorial for Cornelius in Los Angeles last week, Johnson assured Cornelius’ son Tony, “The brand that your father has created will last a lifetime.”
Black Entertainment Network LLC, BET, and Centric TV, a BET Network, also has rights to the Soul Train brand and name, and have revamped the Soul Train Awards, which have aired on BET Networks since 2009. The awards show has been the network’s second highest-rated special, said Paxton Baker, Centric executive vice president and general manager.
Baker said the show has held its own and plans are under way for a tribute to Cornelius for this year’s show, planned for broadcast Nov. 25, keeping its Sunday-after-Thanksgiving air date tradition, on BET and Centric.
“For our part, it was a great brand and made a lot of sense for us to go out and acquire the brand and put our stamp on it,” Baker said.
With its rich history, Soul Train can go anywhere, even Broadway or a cruise.
In fact, Gibbs said the first “Soul Train” cruise is set to sail in 2013.
Johnson assured not only the world, but also the Cornelius family that the legend’s legacy will live on forever through the Soul Train brand.
Read/learn more on the story at Access Atlanta.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- LTC Eddie Smith Congratulates 100 Black Men Mentee of the Year
- THE (06-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 2016 BET Awards Winners List
- 50 Cent Arrested in St. Kitts for Using Dirty Word in Show
- TV One Sets Original Film ‘Bad Dad Rehab’ for July Premiere (EUR Exclusive)
- Montell Jordan Releases New Memoir & Returns To R&B
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Steve Harvey’s Mentorship Program Empowers 220 Fatherless Males
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here