“Glee” star Amber Riley is hosting a competition for students in New York to mark Black History Month with a personal appearance from herself as the main prize.
Verizon Wireless announced today that it has launched “A Day in the Life of a History Maker” program – a partnership with the UNCF, Teacher Planet, and Get Schooled – developed to inspire and motivate high school students across the New York Metro Region by highlighting some of today’s most influential African American history makers.
Students in the New York Metro area are encouraged to participate in the program by submitting a 500 word essay about how they plan to make history. Entries will be accepted through March 31, 2012 at the Verizon Insider website. Five lucky winners will receive a chance to meet and spend an afternoon with Riley, who plays Mercedes Jones in Fox’s hit series, in New York City.
She says, “One of the greatest things about being an actress is using my voice to help inspire fans to pursue their passions. As we celebrate Black History Month, Verizon Wireless and I are launching the A Day in the Life of a History Maker campaign. The school with the most votes wins a visit from me!”
Students can also nominate their high school through Feb. 29 to win a special visit from Riley. Voting is unlimited and the school with the most votes wins. Additionally, the actress is scheduled to star in five webisode vignettes on topics like education, empowerment, innovation, leadership and inspiration. The vignettes will coincide with themed Lesson Plans of past and present history makers that teachers will be able to download for use in their classrooms.
To further support the program, Terrence J, the star of BET’s 106 & Park, will participate in a meet and greet on Feb. 14 at the Verizon Wireless retail store located at 166 West 125th Street, New York, NY.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Watch: The 'Steve Jobs' Trailer
- THE (10-07-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Chris Bosh & Rasheeda Appear on Tonight's 'ROSEWOOD' on FOX (Video)
- BHERC Presents 'Reel Black Men' Short Film Festival on October 24
- Lil Wayne Says Birdman Stiffed Drake, Nicki Minaj Out of Money
- Cosmo Blasted for Declaring Kardashians 'America's First Family'
- TV One to Re-Air Original ‘Roots’; Louis Gossett Jr. Reminisces: ‘We Stopped the World’
- Parents of Bullied Boy Who Committed Suicide, Sue Florida School District
- Debbi Morgan to Play Toni Braxton’s Mom Evelyn in Lifetime Biopic; Full Cast Announced
- Wanda Sykes Cast in ABC's ‘Black-ish’, Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here