*Mary J. Blige put in work this week on “American Idol,” first as a co-mentor to the contestants alongside Interscope Records head Jimmy Iovine, and then, as a musical guest during Thursday night’s results show.
In an interview shortly after contestant Jeremy Rosado was sent packing, she told us she was blown away by the talent of this year’s finalists, which made her experience as a mentor all the more rewarding.
“I like to see people win,” she said. “When they’re talented and they work really hard, I just really want to work with them. I just really want them to get the best. All of these contestants on this show are super talented; they really, really want it. They work really hard, so it just makes me want to go the extra mile — and tell them the truth.”
Below, Mary J says she can personally relate to the dreams of the contestants, which made it much easier for her to give them that honest feedback, whether it was positive or negative.
During Thursday’s live broadcast, Blige performed her single “Why?” from the album “My Life II: The Journey Continues (Act 1),” released in November.
“’Why’ means so much, because in life and in so many relationships, we wonder why when we hit a certain bump or when we’re doing something wrong, why things can’t work out,” explained the 41-year-old Bronx native. “I just know that so many people are going through that right now.”
Watch her “American Idol” performance of “Why” below.
- Kirk Frost of 'L&HHA' Arrested at Dirt Bike Rally
- ‘BET Awards’ Ratings Down From Chris Rock-Hosted 2014 Ceremony
- Cheryl Burke Quits as Miss USA Co-Host Over Trump’s Comments
- Lester Holt Tops Ratings in 1st Week as Official ‘Nightly News’ Anchor
- First Look: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Julia Roberts in ‘Secret in Their Eyes’ (Trailer)
- Halle Berry on Leaving Modeling for Acting: ‘It Took Me Years to Build Respect’
- Victoria Rowell Wants Back on ‘The Young and the Restless’?
- Are We Bananas or is This Dude One Handsome Gorilla?
- Essence Expands Digital Programming with 'Live from the Essence Festival'
- Cops Called to Bobbi Kristina’s Hospice Over Family Fights
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here