As we all know, the relationship between blacks and Republicans has been one that’s been testy for decades now.
The relationship became even more observed when Herman Cain launched his bid for the presidency.
In an election year, where blacks will come out in full force for President Obama, the division will be even more marked.
Here’s an excerpt:
Farai Chideya at the Root wrote a very good articleabout the relationship between the Black community and the Republican Party. Chideya discusses the perplexing fact that African Americans are overwhelmingly Democratic, yet many millions of us possess value systems that would be a better fit for a Republican pep rally.
Chideya is absolutely correct in her assessment that many African Americans are simply conservatives in liberal skin. We don’t quite fit in a box, and many of us end up walking the thin line between supporting the Democrats who give us civil rights versus protecting our own value systems that derive from the conservatism of the Black church.
A recent case-in-point would be the suspension of CNN analyst Roland Martin, who was challenged by the gay community for a series of remarks that made light of violence against homosexuals. The Gay, Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) was correct in their assessment that there is no room in the liberal space for those who have any tolerance for violence against the gay community. What was most interesting, however, was how Martin’s anti-gay comments were applauded by millions of African Americans in the Black church. Large numbers of Black people — like the much of the Republican party — have no problem condemning gay people to hell (whether it be on earth or in the after-life).
Read the rest at our partner NewsOne
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 3 Things to Do NOW to Transform Your Life (WATCH)
- The Kobie Chronicles: 'Red, White & Baltimore' Premiere As Freddie Gray Trials Commence
- Lamar Odom's Lucky Break: Prosecution for Cocaine Possession Unlikely
- Why?! Well Known Black Ministers Set to Meet With Trump
- Movie Watch: Big Weekend for Creed, The Good Dinosaur, Victor Frankenstein
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Walt Disney’s 'The Good Dinosaur' is a Story of a Bond of Two Unlikely Friends
- Naughty by Nature Hitting the Road to Celebrate 25th Anniversary
- EURweb Covers the 'Creed' Movie Premiere (WATCH)
- Jasmyne Cannick: Before Cops Encourage the Public to Snitch Maybe They Should Lead By Example (VIDEO)
- Taye Diggs on ‘Rosewood’ Gig: ‘I Knew It Was Going to Be Fun’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here