*Spring not only means baseball and March Madness – it’s also TV pilot season.
Luckily, this year will feature a wealth of new programs featuring very promising minority actors. Which ones should you tune in too?
Here are our picks:
AWAKE (NBC) – This is one of the most promising network television pilots we’ve seen in a long, long time. Shepherded and created by the talented Kyle Killen, AWAKE follows Det. Michael Britten (Jason Isaacs), living two parallel, crime-solving lives following a car accident – one in which his wife was killed, and one in which his son died. It’s one of the rare new network shows that rises above its gimmick. AWAKE also features a plum role for the great Steven Harris – late of The Practice – as Britten’s partner in one of the timelines. The show premiered this week; plenty of catch-up time. (http://www.eurweb.com/2012/02/is-it-live-or-is-it-memorex-steve-harris-talks-nbcs-awake/)
COMMON LAW (USA) – USA’s made a living cranking out easy-to-watch, supremely competent procedurals with rich lead characters, and this two-cops-in-couples-therapy (with one of them played by the excellent Michael Ealy) sounds like it fits into their plans perfectly. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/usa-network-common-law-premiere-296459
COUNTY (NBC) – Michael Jordan is back! Well, Michael B. Jordan, that is. The actor – who made an impact as talented quarterback Vince XXX on Friday Night Lights – stars in this hospital drama from FNL writer Jason Katims. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/parenthood-michael-b-jordan-jason-katims-county-289437
DO NO HARM (NBC) – Finally, Phylicia Rashad escapes Bill Cosby in this televised take on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, starring Steven Pasquale (Rescue Me) as the titular doctor / crazy person. Rashad will play the chief of surgery at Jekyll / Hyde’s hospital. It’ll be nice to see the talented Rashad out of the Cosby bubble. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cosby-show-phylicia-rashad-nbc-do-no-harm-jeckyll-hyde-pilot-296151)
LAST RESORT (ABC) – Shawn Ryan created one of the greatest series in the history of television with his violent and compelling program The Shield for FX; he’s going to return soon with this ambitious series following a rogue U.S. nuclear missile submarine. The part that’s got us all excited? The casting of Andre Braugher – the volcanic, spellbinding actor from Homicide – as the missile submarine’s captain. This has a chance to be really amazing. (http://www.hitfix.com/articles/andre-braugher-will-captain-abcs-last-resort-pilot)
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Jessica Williams to Exit ‘The Daily Show’ for Own Comedy Central Pilot
- Why EJ Johnson Decided Against Transitioning: ‘I Thought About it For Sure’ (Watch)
- 'Ed Gordon': Bounce TV's First-Ever Primetime News Magazine Show to Debut Sept. 13
- Songs in the Key of Stevie Wonder and Imhotep Gary Byrd: Celebrating 50 Years of Friendship (EUR Exclusive)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here