*Who knew actor Robert DeNiro was also a comedian … and a Newt Gingrich pisser-offer, so to speak?
At a fundraiser Monday night in New York, while addressing a starstudded, exclusive crowd in the back room of Locanda Verde, De Niro (below) dropped this nugget:
“Callista Gingrich. Karen Santorum. Ann Romney. Now do you really think our country is ready for a white First Lady?”
The NYC crowd roared its approval, but Gingrich (above) did not appreciate the humor. During a campaign stop in Shreveport, La., on Tuesday, he blasted the actor and called for the President to apologize on his behalf.
“I think Robert De Niro is wrong,” Gingrich said at the top of his speech at Strawn’s Eat Shop. “I think the country is ready for a new First Lady, and he doesn’t have to describe it in racial terms.”
Gingrich said De Niro’s comment was “beyond the pale,” adding: “I call on the President to apologize for him.”
So Mrs. Obama’s press secretary issued an apology on behalf of the prez.
“We believe the joke was inappropriate,” said Olivia Alair, Michelle Obama’s press secretary.
Ya happy now, Newt? Of course you aren’t. But you should be ’cause that’s all you’re gonna get.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Lakatriona Brunson: Florida’s First Female Head Football Coach
- Justice Dept. Sues City of Ferguson Over Pattern of Police Abuse
- Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino Return to 'American Idol' This Week
- Kardashians Call Depiction in ‘People v. OJ’ Ep 2 ‘Ridiculous’
- Drama at ‘Fashion Police’ Between NeNe and Giuliana?
- Claudia Jordan, Jennifer Williams: Shots Fired Hours Before ‘The Next 15’ Premiere
- Ciara Cheered, Russell Wilson Booed at Knicks Game
- BET Names Brie Miranda Bryant SVP of Unscripted Programming
- Marcus Anderson Cast in John Ridley Drama Pilot ‘Presence’
- Black Paranormal Investigators ‘Ghost Brothers’ Set at Destination America
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here