*Who knew actor Robert DeNiro was also a comedian … and a Newt Gingrich pisser-offer, so to speak?
At a fundraiser Monday night in New York, while addressing a starstudded, exclusive crowd in the back room of Locanda Verde, De Niro (below) dropped this nugget:
“Callista Gingrich. Karen Santorum. Ann Romney. Now do you really think our country is ready for a white First Lady?”
The NYC crowd roared its approval, but Gingrich (above) did not appreciate the humor. During a campaign stop in Shreveport, La., on Tuesday, he blasted the actor and called for the President to apologize on his behalf.
“I think Robert De Niro is wrong,” Gingrich said at the top of his speech at Strawn’s Eat Shop. “I think the country is ready for a new First Lady, and he doesn’t have to describe it in racial terms.”
Gingrich said De Niro’s comment was “beyond the pale,” adding: “I call on the President to apologize for him.”
So Mrs. Obama’s press secretary issued an apology on behalf of the prez.
“We believe the joke was inappropriate,” said Olivia Alair, Michelle Obama’s press secretary.
Ya happy now, Newt? Of course you aren’t. But you should be ’cause that’s all you’re gonna get.
- The New Trailer for Universal Pictures’ 'Steve Jobs' has Just Debuted Online [Watch]
- Jill Scott UNdefends Bill Cosby: She is Now 'Completely Disgusted'
- K. Michelle Pleads with Black Media to Leave Her Alone
- Kelly Rowland Joins 'Empire,' Talks Losing 50lbs of Baby Weight
- tWitch on Returning to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ as a Mentor
- Wal-Mart's New 24-Hour Neighborhood Markets Pose a Scare for Trader Joe's and Others
- Bill Cosby Admitted in 2005 to Drugging Woman with Quaaludes (Report)
- Happy 116th Birthday to World’s Oldest, Susannah Mushatt Jones (Video)
- Aretha Franklin Thanks Illinois for Helping Her after Bus Broke Down
- South Carolina Senate Votes to Remove Confederate Flag from Statehouse
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here