*Who knew actor Robert DeNiro was also a comedian … and a Newt Gingrich pisser-offer, so to speak?
At a fundraiser Monday night in New York, while addressing a starstudded, exclusive crowd in the back room of Locanda Verde, De Niro (below) dropped this nugget:
“Callista Gingrich. Karen Santorum. Ann Romney. Now do you really think our country is ready for a white First Lady?”
The NYC crowd roared its approval, but Gingrich (above) did not appreciate the humor. During a campaign stop in Shreveport, La., on Tuesday, he blasted the actor and called for the President to apologize on his behalf.
“I think Robert De Niro is wrong,” Gingrich said at the top of his speech at Strawn’s Eat Shop. “I think the country is ready for a new First Lady, and he doesn’t have to describe it in racial terms.”
Gingrich said De Niro’s comment was “beyond the pale,” adding: “I call on the President to apologize for him.”
So Mrs. Obama’s press secretary issued an apology on behalf of the prez.
“We believe the joke was inappropriate,” said Olivia Alair, Michelle Obama’s press secretary.
Ya happy now, Newt? Of course you aren’t. But you should be ’cause that’s all you’re gonna get.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Zoe Saldana to 'Nina' Critics: 'Don’t Address Me with Such Disdain'
- Serena Williams Confesses She Was Sore After Twerking For Beyonce
- 'Natural' Black Bride Goes Viral - The Game Taunts Chris Brown
- Glam-Horror 'The Neon Demon' is a 'Celebration of Narcissism'
- Óscar Jaenada Says 'The Shallows' Set to 'Become A Classic’ [EUR Exclusive]
- Miramax Acquires Whitney Doc, Johnnie Cochran Film Finds Director
- Fewer Sex Partners Leads To Divorce, Nick Young & Iggy Azalea 'Split' | BHL's This Week (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here