*Who knew actor Robert DeNiro was also a comedian … and a Newt Gingrich pisser-offer, so to speak?
At a fundraiser Monday night in New York, while addressing a starstudded, exclusive crowd in the back room of Locanda Verde, De Niro (below) dropped this nugget:
“Callista Gingrich. Karen Santorum. Ann Romney. Now do you really think our country is ready for a white First Lady?”
The NYC crowd roared its approval, but Gingrich (above) did not appreciate the humor. During a campaign stop in Shreveport, La., on Tuesday, he blasted the actor and called for the President to apologize on his behalf.
“I think Robert De Niro is wrong,” Gingrich said at the top of his speech at Strawn’s Eat Shop. “I think the country is ready for a new First Lady, and he doesn’t have to describe it in racial terms.”
Gingrich said De Niro’s comment was “beyond the pale,” adding: “I call on the President to apologize for him.”
So Mrs. Obama’s press secretary issued an apology on behalf of the prez.
“We believe the joke was inappropriate,” said Olivia Alair, Michelle Obama’s press secretary.
Ya happy now, Newt? Of course you aren’t. But you should be ’cause that’s all you’re gonna get.
- Street Leading to Sandra Bland's Alma Mater Renamed in Her Honor
- Burger King Proposes to McDonalds ... in the Name of Peace
- Had Your Fill Yet?
- Inside Broadway: A Conversation with Broadway Veteran Chapman Roberts - Black Stars of the Great White Way (Part I)
- Russell Wilson Says God Has Anointed Him and Ciara
- 'WAGS' Star Autumn Ajirotutu on Why She’s Not a Gold-Digger
- Did Enquirer Pay Nick Gordon $40K to Visit Bobbi Kristina’s Grave?
- George Zimmerman Calls Pres. Obama ‘Ignorant Baboon’ in Twitter Rant Over WDBJ Shootings
- Former NBA Star Darryl Dawkins (Chocolate Thunder) Dies at 58
- Chris Brown Tattoos Huge Bull on Other Side of his Head
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here