*More than a year into a legal battle with a famous Boston church, OneUnited Bank is taking steps to foreclose on a loan to the Charles Street African Methodist Episcopal Church and auction off church property later this month (March), reports BCNN1.com.
Relations between Charles Street AME and its lender have been icy for some time, since the church has been unable to repay a $4 million construction loan on a nearby community center it was building. The bank, facing its own financial struggles and a $12 million federal bailout it has been unable to repay, sued the church in October 2010.
Now, the stakes in the fight have ratcheted up. In recent days, without warning to the church, the bank advertised that it planned to foreclose on the AME property, where worshipers have been congregating since 1939, as well as another property in Milton.
“It’s unfortunate that they had to resort to that,” the Rev. Gregory G. Groover Sr. said yesterday. “This is clearly a result of their anger around the litigation. Or maybe it was simply to humiliate and embarrass us.”
The high-profile fight pits a famous congregation – founded in 1818 on Beacon Hill and part of the Underground Railroad – against a bank owned by black executives who say their mission is community lending.
Read more here.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Report: Whoopi Goldberg Signs $2.5M, 1-Yr Deal With ‘The View’
- Spike Lee’s ESPN Mini Docs ‘Lil’ Joints’ Return on 5/31 (View Titles and Schedule)
- Lifetime to Air Uzo Aduba, Cicely Tyson Film ‘Showing Roots’ on Sat, May 26 (Trailer)
- ‘Empire’ Finishes No 1 in Black Households, Social Media and Other Key Demos
- Therez Fleetwood's 'Men and Intimacy: Real Talk... Real Answers' Reveals Answers to What Men Want
- First Look: Rihanna’s New Line of Star Trek-Inspired Dior Sunglasses
- Opinion: How Democratic Superdelegates decided the 2016 Election
- Prince’s Fam Requests Revolution Start Reunion Tour AFTER August Memorial Event
- Judge Favors Chris Brown in Baby Mama’s Attempt to Restrict Custody
- Derek Fisher, Ex-Wife Agree to Destroy Their Frozen Embryos in Divorce Settlement
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here