*Queen Latifah has just been added to the star-studded cast of Lifetime’s all-black remake of “Steel Magnolias.”
She’ll play M’Lynn, the character portrayed by Sally Field in the 1989 feature film of the same name.
Condola Rashad will play her diabetes-stricken daughter, Shelby, played previously by Julia Roberts, and Rashad’s mother Phylicia will take on the role of Clairee, portrayed by Olympia Dukakis. Alfre Woodard will portray the irascible Ouiser, in Shirley MacLaine’s former role, Jill Scott will fill Dolly Parton’s shoes as understanding hairdresser Truvy, and “Pariah” breakout Adepero Oduye will play insecure newcomer Annelle, made famous by Daryl Hannah.
“The caliber of talent associated with this film is astounding,” said Nancy Dubuc, President and General Manager of Lifetime Networks. “Queen Latifah, Phylicia, Alfre, Jill, Adepero, and Condola are some of the most celebrated women in music, film, television and stage — and we could not be more thrilled and honored for them to bring Robert Harling’s poignant story about the strength of women to a whole new generation.”
Latifah will also executive produce the project alongside Smash‘s Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, with whom she worked during his Oscar-nominated turn in 2003′s Chicago. Kenny Leon, who directed Phylicia Rashad in 2004 Broadway production A Raisin in the Sun, will direct.
While the original film took place in Georgia and production on the update begins next month in Atlanta, the film itself will take place in Louisiana. Very few details have been released about how the “contemporary” update will revise the original material but network heads are projecting a premiere later this year.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Two Prince Estate Claimants Object to Required DNA Test
- Woman Arrested Outside Usher’s Studio Defying Restraining Order
- Jason Derulo Splits with 50 Cent’s Baby Mama Daphne Joy
- Baby Fat Shamed As 'Stuff Curry' Becomes Internet Favorite
- PA Judge Rules Bill Cosby Trial Can Proceed on All Charges
- Prince Fans Confused After Minnesota Declares ‘Beyonce Day’
- Bishop Eddie Long To Discuss Struggles During Sex Scandal on ‘Steve Harvey’
- Erica Campbell: 'I Didn't Takeover' Yolanda Adams' Radio Slot [EUR Exclusive]
- Mike Epps Shows it's Never Too Late: Graduates High School at 45
- Presenting the EURweb - Kashif & Friends, Black Music Month Celebration On-Line Contest!
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here