*Michael K. Williams, best known for his work in HBO’s “The Wire,” will star as the late hip-hop artist Ol’ Dirty Bastard, (real name Russell Jones), in the feature film “Dirty White Boy.”
The film is based on the true story of Jarred Weisfeld, a 22-year-old VH1 intern who eventually became the rapper’s manager. The film depicts his misadventures with the artist leading up to the performer’s tragic death in 2004.
Joaquin Baca-Asay is making is feature directorial debut on the project, working with an original screenplay by Brent Hoff. Lars Knudsen and Jay Van Hoy – the producing team behind “Beginners,” for which Christopher Plummer received an Academy Award – are producing with Todd Hagopian of Ocean Size Pictures.
The project has the full support and co-operation of Weisfeld as well as Jones’ mother, Cherry Jones, the producers said.
“We both knew full well who Ol’ Dirty Bastard was but this story completely floored us. As filmmakers, we knew that this would make a great film and that Jarred Weisfeld would offer an actor a complicated and compelling character to play,” Knudsen and Van Hoy said in a statement.
Williams starred as Omar Little on “The Wire” and currently plays Chalky White on HBO’s “Boardwalk Empire.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'Family Feud': Sexually Provocative Q&As Have Viewers Alarmed (WATCH)
- Amber Rose's 'SlutWalk': Several Hundred Showed Up (VIDEO/PHOTOS)
- Jerrod Carmichael: New Onyx Phone Makes Filming Police Brutality Easy (WATCH)
- Universal Eyeing Michael B. Jordan and Jonah Hill for Def Jam Biopic
- Toni Braxton to Star in Lifetime Biopic 'Un-Break My Heart'
- NeYo Shares Proposal Video, Slams Ex's Sterilization Claims [WATCH]
- Staples Singers Limited Edition 4-CD Box Set to be Released Nov. 13 from Stax/Concord Music Group
- Whoopi Goldberg Blasts Pro-Lifers: ‘Get Out of My Vagina!’
- Jennifer Hudson Dishes on Film Roles, Style and Weight Loss
- Sparkletainment Presents 'Loves Freedom' a One-woman Stage Performance (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here