*Michael K. Williams, best known for his work in HBO’s “The Wire,” will star as the late hip-hop artist Ol’ Dirty Bastard, (real name Russell Jones), in the feature film “Dirty White Boy.”
The film is based on the true story of Jarred Weisfeld, a 22-year-old VH1 intern who eventually became the rapper’s manager. The film depicts his misadventures with the artist leading up to the performer’s tragic death in 2004.
Joaquin Baca-Asay is making is feature directorial debut on the project, working with an original screenplay by Brent Hoff. Lars Knudsen and Jay Van Hoy – the producing team behind “Beginners,” for which Christopher Plummer received an Academy Award – are producing with Todd Hagopian of Ocean Size Pictures.
The project has the full support and co-operation of Weisfeld as well as Jones’ mother, Cherry Jones, the producers said.
“We both knew full well who Ol’ Dirty Bastard was but this story completely floored us. As filmmakers, we knew that this would make a great film and that Jarred Weisfeld would offer an actor a complicated and compelling character to play,” Knudsen and Van Hoy said in a statement.
Williams starred as Omar Little on “The Wire” and currently plays Chalky White on HBO’s “Boardwalk Empire.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Kanye West Unveils Mind Blowing, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video (WATCH)
- Look! New Poster for 'When the Bough Breaks' Starring Morris Chestnut & Regina Hall
- Octavia Spencer on Why NASA Movie About Black Women is Overdue
- Angela Bassett Launches ‘Darker Skin Tones’ Skincare Line
- Beyonce Drops ‘Sorry’ Video, Teen Gets into 'Formation' for Prom (Watch)
- Drake Getting Sued By Producer Detail Over Broken Jaw Assault
- Watch: Hundreds Gather to Support Wealthy Black Family Victimized by 'Hate Crime'
- 'Concrete Park' Collides with 'Blokhedz' at Harvard University
- Yodovo.com Encourages Blacks: Be Loud, Black and Proud
- Josh Childress Opens Up about Why Millionaire Ballers Go Broke
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here