*Oscar-winner Octavia Spencer was honored today by her home state of Alabama.
About 400 people turned up at the Alabama Statehouse to celebrate the actress, who won this year’s best supporting actress Oscar for her performance as a maid in “The Help.”
She rolled up to the Statehouse in a pink limousine for the ceremony. As she stepped out, she was serenaded by the band from her alma mater, Jefferson Davis High School.
A Montgomery native, Spencer told the crowd that she would do whatever she could to see that more movies are made in Alabama. She also cautioned young people in the audience to think twice before heading to Hollywood to become a movie star.
Spencer was also honored by a joint session of the Legislature, and Gov. Robert Bentley declared today Octavia Spencer Day.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 2016 BET Awards Winners List
- 50 Cent Arrested in St. Kitts for Using Dirty Word in Show
- TV One Sets Original Film ‘Bad Dad Rehab’ for July Premiere (EUR Exclusive)
- Montell Jordan Releases New Memoir & Returns To R&B
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Steve Harvey’s Mentorship Program Empowers 220 Fatherless Males
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Zoe Saldana to 'Nina' Critics: 'Don’t Address Me with Such Disdain'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here