*Oscar-winner Octavia Spencer was honored today by her home state of Alabama.
About 400 people turned up at the Alabama Statehouse to celebrate the actress, who won this year’s best supporting actress Oscar for her performance as a maid in “The Help.”
She rolled up to the Statehouse in a pink limousine for the ceremony. As she stepped out, she was serenaded by the band from her alma mater, Jefferson Davis High School.
A Montgomery native, Spencer told the crowd that she would do whatever she could to see that more movies are made in Alabama. She also cautioned young people in the audience to think twice before heading to Hollywood to become a movie star.
Spencer was also honored by a joint session of the Legislature, and Gov. Robert Bentley declared today Octavia Spencer Day.
- NYC Principal Commits Suicide After Found Cheating on Common Core Test, DOE Releases Statement (Video)
- Gilbert Arenas' Deadly Accuracy Gets Him Banned From County Fair
- Khloe Kardashian Denies Cocaine Use at Kylie's Graduation Party
- Jill Scott Set to Perform Live on ABC's 'GMA' Tuesday at 7 AM
- Bobbi Kristina Brown Funeral to be Held This Week; Family Source Says She Will Be Buried Near Her Mother Whitney Houston
- Derek Luke Slams Instagram Trolls, Defends Interracial Marriage
- Bill Cosby Story Triggers Hacker Attack on New York Magazine Website
- Sandra Bland Co-Inmate Certain Suicide is Cause of Death
- Anthony Davis Turned Down 'DWTS' Because, 'I Can't Dance'
- Dionne Warwick Says Bobbi Kristina, 'In Much Better Hands Now’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here