*Oscar-winner Octavia Spencer was honored today by her home state of Alabama.
About 400 people turned up at the Alabama Statehouse to celebrate the actress, who won this year’s best supporting actress Oscar for her performance as a maid in “The Help.”
She rolled up to the Statehouse in a pink limousine for the ceremony. As she stepped out, she was serenaded by the band from her alma mater, Jefferson Davis High School.
A Montgomery native, Spencer told the crowd that she would do whatever she could to see that more movies are made in Alabama. She also cautioned young people in the audience to think twice before heading to Hollywood to become a movie star.
Spencer was also honored by a joint session of the Legislature, and Gov. Robert Bentley declared today Octavia Spencer Day.
- BET Awards Fashion on Fleek (Watch)
- ‘Star Trek's’ George Takei: Clarence Thomas is ‘A Clown in Blackface’ (WATCH)
- Shocking Radiation Experiments on Black Children Left Holes in Head (Watch)
- Lupita Nyong’o Joins the Fight Against Elephant Poaching
- Tiger Woods in Denial Mode About Affair with Fellow Golfer’s Ex-Wife
- Jesse Jackson Blasts Twitter for Lack of Black and Minority Employees
- TMZ Claims Someone is Shopping Bobbi Kristina's Death Bed Photo
- Dwyane Wade Resigns with the Miami Heat.
- Red, White, and Bruised: Decades of Mistreatment Spark Anti-Patriotic Outrage Among Black Americans
- Charlene Crowell: SCOTUS Ruling Preserves Key Fair Housing Tool
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here