*Rapper Rick Ross will not have to change his stage name.
An L.A. County Superior Court judge has dismissed a lawsuit against the hip hop star from former drug dealer “Freeway” Rick Ross, who attempted to claim ownership of the Rick Ross name.
But the judge today threw the lawsuit out, making it the second time Freeway Rick has lost a legal battle against the rapper, born William Leonard Roberts. In November 2010, a judge also dismissed a $10 million federal trademark infringement lawsuit against rapper Rick Ross.
The earlier ruling stated that Freeway Ricky Ross could not legally trademark his name, because he became popular due to “illegal activity,” which the judge said could not be used to establish a “secondary meaning.”
Freeway Ricky Ross re-filed the lawsuit in California Superior Court, because his attorneys said California law would afford him more protection for his name.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (06-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 2016 BET Awards Winners List
- 50 Cent Arrested in St. Kitts for Using Dirty Word in Show
- TV One Sets Original Film ‘Bad Dad Rehab’ for July Premiere (EUR Exclusive)
- Montell Jordan Releases New Memoir & Returns To R&B
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Steve Harvey’s Mentorship Program Empowers 220 Fatherless Males
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here