*It’s only been three months, but so far, things aren’t looking good for “CBS This Morning,” the latest reboot of the network’s weekday morning news show.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, viewership for “Morning” fell 11 percent during the second quarter, according to Nielsen, from 2.8 million last year, when the program was called “The Early Show,” to 2.498 million this year. It’s also down 14 percent among adults 25-54 to 1.03 million.
CBS hired Charlie Rose and Gayle King as new co-hosts, joining Erica Hill, and gave the broadcast distinct parts. Where Rose presides, the broadcast highlights harder news. King features the more traditional pop culture and lifestyle stories.
Only ABC’s recently surging “Good Morning America” was up from last year, narrowing the gap between it and longtime No. 1 “Today” on NBC to the smallest margin in 17 years, though the latter still held a comfortable lead.
“Today” averaged 5.39 million viewers, down 4 percent from 5.6 million at this time last year, while “GMA” was up 1 percent, from 4.88 million to 4.93 million. “GMA” was also up 7 percent in 25-54s, to 1.997 million, while “Today” fell 8 percent, to 2.385 million.
CBS’s morning news program has lagged behind the other two for years, and this latest revamp was an attempt to really distinguish the show from its rivals.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Deon Cole of ‘Black-ish’ Scores Standup Special on Comedy Central
- Bill Cosby Accuser Drops Defamation Lawsuit, But Still 'In Solidarity' With Alleged Victims
- Trolls Trying to Insult Steph Curry's 3-Year-Old Daughter Mistakenly Tweet Grown Man (See His Response)
- Larenz Tate, Mike Colter Join Queen Latifah’s ‘Girl Trip’
- TV Academy Sues Over Whitney Houston's Illegal Emmy Auction
- While Supreme Court Guts 4th Amendment, Black America left hypnotized by the NBA and Lebron James
- Mahershala Ali: The 'Free State of Jones' Interview with Kam Williams
- R. Kelly’s Ex-Wife Drea Takes Twerking to a New Level...And In a Floor Length Skirt (Watch)
- Broadway’s ‘Shuffle Along’ to Close With Audra McDonald’s Maternity Exit
- Obama to Cavs Coach Tyronn Lue: "Tell J.R. and Everybody to Put On a Shirt" (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here