*It’s only been three months, but so far, things aren’t looking good for “CBS This Morning,” the latest reboot of the network’s weekday morning news show.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, viewership for “Morning” fell 11 percent during the second quarter, according to Nielsen, from 2.8 million last year, when the program was called “The Early Show,” to 2.498 million this year. It’s also down 14 percent among adults 25-54 to 1.03 million.
CBS hired Charlie Rose and Gayle King as new co-hosts, joining Erica Hill, and gave the broadcast distinct parts. Where Rose presides, the broadcast highlights harder news. King features the more traditional pop culture and lifestyle stories.
Only ABC’s recently surging “Good Morning America” was up from last year, narrowing the gap between it and longtime No. 1 “Today” on NBC to the smallest margin in 17 years, though the latter still held a comfortable lead.
“Today” averaged 5.39 million viewers, down 4 percent from 5.6 million at this time last year, while “GMA” was up 1 percent, from 4.88 million to 4.93 million. “GMA” was also up 7 percent in 25-54s, to 1.997 million, while “Today” fell 8 percent, to 2.385 million.
CBS’s morning news program has lagged behind the other two for years, and this latest revamp was an attempt to really distinguish the show from its rivals.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Report: Whoopi Goldberg Signs $2.5M, 1-Yr Deal With ‘The View’
- Spike Lee’s ESPN Mini Docs ‘Lil’ Joints’ Return on 5/31 (View Titles and Schedule)
- Lifetime to Air Uzo Aduba, Cicely Tyson Film ‘Showing Roots’ on Sat, May 26 (Trailer)
- ‘Empire’ Finishes No 1 in Black Households, Social Media and Other Key Demos
- Therez Fleetwood's 'Men and Intimacy: Real Talk... Real Answers' Reveals Answers to What Men Want
- First Look: Rihanna’s New Line of Star Trek-Inspired Dior Sunglasses
- Opinion: How Democratic Superdelegates decided the 2016 Election
- Prince’s Fam Requests Revolution Start Reunion Tour AFTER August Memorial Event
- Judge Favors Chris Brown in Baby Mama’s Attempt to Restrict Custody
- Derek Fisher, Ex-Wife Agree to Destroy Their Frozen Embryos in Divorce Settlement
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here