*Serena Williams, in her first tournament play in seven weeks, emerged victorious in her first round match at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami.
The 10th-seeded tennis star took just 1 hour and 20 minutes to handle Chinese wild card Zhang Shuai 6-2, 6-3 at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park.
The former world No. 1 Williams is a five-time Sony Ericsson champ (2002-04, 2007-08) and two-time runner-up. Last year’s U.S. Open runner-up will next meet Italian Roberta Vinci in the round of 32.
The winner of the $4.828 million tournament will collect $712,000.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ciara Admits Struggle to Abstain From Sex With Russell Wilson
- Cam Newton Posts Pic of Baby Son Chosen
- Idris Elba Lands Romantic Drama; Samuel L. Jackson Pursues ‘Revival’ Role
- Cam Newton Posts Heartfelt Message to his Supporters
- Beyonce Backlash, Cam Newton Criticized, Black Panther Party Documentary & More! | BHL's This Week
- The Deya Direct Podcast: What is a Man Whisperer?
- LAUSD Whistleblower Protection - Does it Exist?
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Screen Actors Guild Honors Outstanding Performances at 22nd Annual SAG Awards
- David Cash Reemerges as 'Justdavid'
- ‘Deadpool’ Off the Charts, ‘Single’ Suffers, and ‘Zoolander 2’ is Clueless
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here