*Serena Williams, in her first tournament play in seven weeks, emerged victorious in her first round match at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami.
The 10th-seeded tennis star took just 1 hour and 20 minutes to handle Chinese wild card Zhang Shuai 6-2, 6-3 at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park.
The former world No. 1 Williams is a five-time Sony Ericsson champ (2002-04, 2007-08) and two-time runner-up. Last year’s U.S. Open runner-up will next meet Italian Roberta Vinci in the round of 32.
The winner of the $4.828 million tournament will collect $712,000.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Senator Oscar Braynon Presents 4th Choice Challenge
- THE (05-06-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ralph Fiennes and Tilda Swinton Are Tortured Souls in 'A Bigger Splash'
- Ashanti Produces New Film ('Mothers and Daughters') with Superstar Cast (Watch)
- Birdman on 'Respek' Trending & Confronting The Breakfast Club
- Report Says Percocet Found in Prince's System
- Rappers Arrested for Credit Card Fraud after Rapping about Crimes in Songs
- L. A. City Hall Salutes 'Prince' on Friday, May 6, (Open to Public FREE)
- Alicia Keys Drops New Single - Ellen's $10,000 Gift to Dance Crew (WATCH)
- Prince’s ‘Kiss’ Performed Randomly on Subway Just Days Before He Died (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here