*Serena Williams, in her first tournament play in seven weeks, emerged victorious in her first round match at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami.
The 10th-seeded tennis star took just 1 hour and 20 minutes to handle Chinese wild card Zhang Shuai 6-2, 6-3 at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park.
The former world No. 1 Williams is a five-time Sony Ericsson champ (2002-04, 2007-08) and two-time runner-up. Last year’s U.S. Open runner-up will next meet Italian Roberta Vinci in the round of 32.
The winner of the $4.828 million tournament will collect $712,000.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dr. Dre Wants 'Beats and Rhymes' Tour with Snoop, Eminem, Kendrick
- Lamar Odom Found Unconscious at Nevada Brothel; Doesn't Look Good: Report
- Najee Alli, NAN Pressure USC to Consider Hiring Black Coach
- [Watch] Teaser Trailer for Jesse Owens Biopic 'Race'
- Danny Sapani Plays ‘Berber the Moor’ in FX’s Drama 'Bastard Executioner'
- Tamera Mowry-Housely Has 'Goosebumps!' (Photos)
- Chris Bosh and Wife Adrienne Expecting Twins
- President Obama Crashes Wedding at San Diego Golf Course (Watch)
- Taraji P. Henson Slays November Cover of Essence
- Suge Knight Sneaks Birthday Message to Son During Court (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here