*Serena Williams, in her first tournament play in seven weeks, emerged victorious in her first round match at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami.
The 10th-seeded tennis star took just 1 hour and 20 minutes to handle Chinese wild card Zhang Shuai 6-2, 6-3 at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park.
The former world No. 1 Williams is a five-time Sony Ericsson champ (2002-04, 2007-08) and two-time runner-up. Last year’s U.S. Open runner-up will next meet Italian Roberta Vinci in the round of 32.
The winner of the $4.828 million tournament will collect $712,000.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Will Smith Planning Political Run 'In The Near Future'
- Angie Stone Recalls the Time She Passed on Dating Idris Elba
- 3 Things to Do NOW to Transform Your Life (WATCH)
- The Kobie Chronicles: 'Red, White & Baltimore' Premiere As Freddie Gray Trials Commence
- Lamar Odom's Lucky Break: Prosecution for Cocaine Possession Unlikely
- Why?! Well Known Black Ministers Set to Meet With Trump
- Movie Watch: Big Weekend for Creed, The Good Dinosaur, Victor Frankenstein
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Walt Disney’s 'The Good Dinosaur' is a Story of a Bond of Two Unlikely Friends
- Naughty by Nature Hitting the Road to Celebrate 25th Anniversary
- EURweb Covers the 'Creed' Movie Premiere (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here