The original Dream Girl and mother of “Moesha” has come out about the dark spots in her career, including beefs with Diana Ross and Brandy.
In her new book, a candid memoir, “Redefining Diva: Life Lessons From the Original Dreamgirl,” she reveals that Ross wasn’t very thrilled about her “Dreamgirls” character, which was loosely based on the diva. Working with Brandy wasn’t all that pleasant either.
“I hope that folks understand that no matter what, I have great admiration for Diana Ross and Brandy. But you know how you have a family of people and sometimes you get on each other’s nerves? That does not mean I love you any less. It’s just that we had a run-in right there and it was very real. It will either bring us closer together or it will move us further apart,” she told BET.com.
Further, she lamented that some of the things that happened on the show were really a reflection of her life in the industry, explaining that more often than not, her opinions didn’t seem to matter.
“It started with a lot of things I didn’t agree with. But I’ve had to deal with a different phenomenon my whole life and that’s been people saying to me, ‘Just shut up.’ Stars don’t have a point a view. Shut up, you’re beautiful, can’t you just be satisfied with that? Shut up, why do you always have to have an opinion about things? It’s a constant I’ve learned the hard way. Sometimes doing the right thing or standing up for yourself doesn’t really matter.”
Read the full interview at BET.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- EUR Goes Behind the Scenes of 'Law & Order: SVU' (Watch)
- Stephon Marbury Blasts MJ for ‘Kids Getting Killed’ Over Air Jordans
- Toddler Chokes to Death After Mother Dies While Feeding Him (Video)
- Damon Dash & Curren$y End $3M Legal Battle with Settlement
- Michael Moore on Hollywood’s Lack of Diversity: ‘A Form of Apartheid’
- New California Law Requires 'Perceived Ethnicity' Documentation by Police
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson's Explosive Expose on How the NRA Terrorizes Congress
- The Film Strip: Hugh Jackman and Garrett Hedlund in 'PAN' playland
- Watch: The 'Steve Jobs' Trailer
- THE (10-07-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here