*Cher, John Legend, Mia Farrow and Wyclef Jean are among a growing number of celebrities calling for police to arrest George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch captain in Florida accused of fatally shooting unarmed black teen Trayvon Martin.
The 17-year-old was shot to death in a gated community on Feb. 26 after Zimmerman alerted cops to his “suspicious” behavior. During the 911 call, he told the police dispatcher that Martin, who was carrying an iced tea drink and a pack of Skittles candy, was “just walking around looking about.” He began to follow the boy against the explicit instructions of the officer and allegedly gunned him down.
Zimmerman has not been charged with any crime.
A host of stars have are voicing their outrage via Twitter, and have thrown their support behind an online petition on Change.org, created by Martin’s devastated parents, demanding action from authorities.
Cher writes, “We Must Not Forget Travor Marti (sic)! This Beautiful Young man was Murdered In Fla. (Florida) & his killer was Set Free without even a drug test! Shame!”
Legend adds, “we’re p**sed because no one should get killed with Impunity because they ‘look suspicious’ (are black with a hoodie). murder is illegal. If you get caught you go to prison. This is egregious because the guy is comfortably sitting at home.”
Meanwhile, actress and humanitarian Farrow has expressed her fears for the safety of one of her adopted black son because of his skin color. She tweets, “My 20 year old son is African American. He sometimes wears a hoodie and he loves Skittles. #justice4trayvon”
Director Spike Lee, rap mogul Russell Simmons, rapper Talib Kweli and actresses Gabrielle Union and Alyssa Milano have also been tweeting about the shooting and have urged their followers to join the more than 435,000 people who have already signed the Change.org petition, demanding the arrest of Zimmerman.
As previously reported, The public outrage at Martin’s murder prompted officials at the FBI and the Justice Department to launch an investigation into the shooting on Monday ,while Florida State Attorney Norm Wolfinger announced this afternoon that the case will be heard by a grand jury.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- FAMU Grad Single Mom (Taylor Hunter) Testament to Power of Perseverance
- THE (05-05-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- EURweb.com Partners with Blackmon Entertainment Media on Exclusive New Media Licensing Deal
- It's GAME Time! Says Fashion Accessory Brand, Sprayground
- Trump Takes GOP Nomination; Will Black America Listen to His Presidential Plan? (Video)
- Afrika Bambaataa Now Accused of Molesting Hundreds of Boys
- Prince Offered to Mentor Chris Brown After Rihanna Incident
- OWN Staff Blindsided by Exit of Oprah’s Longtime Confident Sheri Salata (Report)
- FoxNews.Com Pulls Comment Section of Malia Obama Story After Racists Take Over
- Pres. Obama Drinks Filtered Flint Water to Show It's Safe (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here