The mentoring program, which hosts 100 high school students ages 13-19 from across the United States during an intensive program at Walt Disney World Resort. Their all-expense paid weekend will be filled with special events, educational workshops, personal enhancement and professional enrichment that will unite them with entertainment experts, motivational speakers and world-class business professionals.
Harvey, who decided to partner with the program back in 2007, told the students today:
“I don’t want you young people to blow this opportunity… because this is about dreamin’, and the thing that I got when I first hooked up with Disney, the thing that interested me about the whole idea was…the most important thing in your life is not your education. The most important thing in your life is your dream. See scripture says ‘a man without a dream shall parish. Nowhere in there does it say a man without an education shall parish…”
Yolanda Adams, Essence Magazine’s Mikki Taylor and Mickey Mouse himself were all also on hand to welcome the young ‘Dreamers. Those that will be working with the youths during the four-day weekend include CNN’s Soledad O’Brien, 106 & Park’s Terrence J, Sean Kingston and more.
And the ‘Dreamer’s’ wasted no time getting off to a great start with their mentoring program. Yesterday they were broken into groups and got first hand lessons from professionals at BET, Essence Magazine– who’s also a Dreamers Academy Partner, the NABJ and more. For the next three days they’ll be treated to one-on-one hands on workshops followed by a commencement ceremony that will include a portion of the theatrical production of The Lion King.
This report was filed by EURweb correspondent Crystal Shaw from Disney World. She also recorded the audio below from Yolanda Adams and Steve Harvey:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Is Jada Pinkett Smith on Her Way Back to ‘Gotham’?
- Judge Gives 20 Min Speech to Racist Cop Caught Beating Unarmed Black Man (Watch)
- Kalenna, Star of 'Love and Hip Hop' to Mingle With Fans
- The Case of Bobbi Kristina Brown 'Still Open and Under Investigation'
- Beyonce Drops 'Formation' A New Song & Video (Watch)
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Woman Crashes Own Funeral, Shocking Husband Who Paid to Have Her Killed
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here