Venus Williams survived an error-strewn, three-set battle against Canadian wildcard, Alexandra Wozniak, on Sunday, winning 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.
Her sister, Serena Williams, followed that act on Monday – and avenged her comeback-frustrating 2011 US Open loss – by taking out Sam Stosur (AUS) in two sets, 7-5, 6-3. She served up 20 aces during the 1:46 match.
Serena earned a 5th round berth with the win, while Venus will be looking to do the same in a Tuesday night match.
The only American women left in the home-soil tourney, Venus will next face Ana Ivanovic (SRB) and Serena either former world No. 1, Caroline Wozniacki (DEN), or Yanina Wickmayer (BEL).
Venus and Serena have been away from the sport more than most women currently on the WTA due to various health issues, but their ability to reach the late stages of tournaments upon their resurgence typically seems to defy their lack of match play. The sisters are on a mission and will begin ramping up tournament play over the next few months, as they both have their sights set on the upcoming Summer Olympics, held in London this July.
Venus Williams will need to raise her ranking from No. 134 to at least No. 60 to earn a spot in the 2012 games, with her last resort being an appeal for inclusion based on her history to the sport’s governing authorities. Serena Williams recently moved inside the top 10 and will just need to maintain to claim her slot.
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Welcomes Daughter
- TMZ Claims Someone is Shopping Bobbi Kristina's Death Bed Photo
- The NBA Demands Removal of Flag & No More Systematic Racism
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here