The debate over the new Health and Human Services regulations, which require all employers to pay 100 percent of the cost of contraception including abortion-inducing chemicals, has been rightly cast as an intrusion on religious liberty. Opponents of such regulations are no more advocating a ban on contraceptives than vegetarian restaurants are advocating a ban on meat. They are simply saying that companies shouldn’t have to pay for services to which they object for moral reasons.
But black Americans in particular would be wise to pay close attention, since the age old contraception battle has special historical significance to them. For more than a century, “reproductive services” have been special code words for the constant, silent effort of the powerful to control black breeding. And this control has often come in the form of a “helping hand.”
From the earliest days of our nation, people in power have wanted to control black reproduction. Before the Civil War, slave owners had a financial interest in increasing the birthrate among their slaves. This was a matter of simple economics; even before the transatlantic slave trade was outlawed, it had become cheaper to “breed” your slaves than to import new ones. Female slaves were pressured to become pregnant (often they were raped).”
Read the full story at BCNN1.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Rocker Malina Moye Talks to EURweb About Grammy Considerations
- Karyn White Snubbed! Left Out of Soul Train Awards Babyface Tribute (WATCH)
- Teen Killed By Black Man, Authorities Refuse to Press Charges (Watch)
- Chicago Cop (Jason Van Dyke) Who Killed Jaquan McDonald Free on Bond
- Jameis Winston: ‘Lions Do Not Accept Opinions of F*cking Sheep!’
- ‘Troubled Loner’ vs. ‘Thugs’: Why the Loaded Language in Crime Stories?
- The Journal of Steffanie Rivers: Donald Trump Is the Master of the Blame Game
- THE (12-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Trump Stands By Claim that ‘Most’ Black Pastors Endorse Him
- Watch Bryshere 'Yazz' Gray Freestyle on 'The Talk'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here