*Here’s your first look at Blair Underwood and Nicole Ari Parker as Stanley and Blanche in Broadway’s revival of “A Streetcar Named Desire.”
It’s is the first time the 65-year-old Tennessee Williams’ play has been produced on Broadway with an all non-white main cast. Daphne Rubin-Vega plays Blanche’s sister Stella and Wood Harris stars as Blanche’s sexually frustrated lover, Mitch.
On the colorblind casting, Underwood tells EW: “Tennessee Williams was very connected to the racial diversity of the French Quarter. It’s even in the opening of the script, ‘Two women, one white and one colored, are taking the air on the steps of the building… for New Orleans is a cosmopolitan city where there is a relatively warm and easy intermingling of the races in the old part of town.’ Williams lived there and understood it.”
With original music by jazz trumpeter Terence Blanchard, the revival opened Sunday, April 22, at the Broadhurst Theatre and is scheduled to play a limited run through July 22. Watch a clip below.
- Pres. Obama on 2016 Election: 'I Think If I Ran, I Would Win'
- Rumor or Fact? L.A. Gangs Threaten to Kill 100 People in 100 Days
- POLITICO Magazine: U.S. Mayors Say Ferguson Could Also Happen in Their Cities
- New 'Legal Equalizer' App Aims to Counter Racial Profiling (WATCH)
- Martin Luther King III and Andrew Young to Attend Voting Right Press Conference
- THE (07-29-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- KDAY 93.5 FM Hosts ‘Uplifting Minds II’ National Talent Showcase Competition Saturday, October 24 at the Celebrity Centre in Hollywood
- Reggie Jackson Apologizes for Profane Outburst Against Fans
- 'Empire' Costars Trai Byers and Grace Gealey Set to be Married
- More Sandra Bland Video Released to Prove She Arrived Alive At Jail
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here