*Here’s your first look at Blair Underwood and Nicole Ari Parker as Stanley and Blanche in Broadway’s revival of “A Streetcar Named Desire.”
It’s is the first time the 65-year-old Tennessee Williams’ play has been produced on Broadway with an all non-white main cast. Daphne Rubin-Vega plays Blanche’s sister Stella and Wood Harris stars as Blanche’s sexually frustrated lover, Mitch.
On the colorblind casting, Underwood tells EW: “Tennessee Williams was very connected to the racial diversity of the French Quarter. It’s even in the opening of the script, ‘Two women, one white and one colored, are taking the air on the steps of the building… for New Orleans is a cosmopolitan city where there is a relatively warm and easy intermingling of the races in the old part of town.’ Williams lived there and understood it.”
With original music by jazz trumpeter Terence Blanchard, the revival opened Sunday, April 22, at the Broadhurst Theatre and is scheduled to play a limited run through July 22. Watch a clip below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- BLM Activist Charles Wade Charged With Pimping 17-Year-Old Girl
- THE (05-30-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Blac Chyna and Rob K Stand to Make $1 Million for Bay Pics
- Beyoncé Earns Big for Tidal, Superjam 2016 Lineup Announced
- Monica Updates Fans On Marriage Status, Praises Husband
- Endangered Gorilla Killed After 4-Yr-Old Boy Enters Habitat (WATCH Dramatic Video)
- Keke Palmer Denies Joining 'The Real' - Tamar in Tears Over Firing (WATCH)
- 'Presenting Princess Shaw' Film Review + Trailer [WATCH]
- Motown Gospel Presents 1 Mic 1 Take [email protected] Studios
- Khloe Kardashian Doesn't Believe in Divorce, Still Getting One Anyway
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here