*Here’s your first look at Blair Underwood and Nicole Ari Parker as Stanley and Blanche in Broadway’s revival of “A Streetcar Named Desire.”
It’s is the first time the 65-year-old Tennessee Williams’ play has been produced on Broadway with an all non-white main cast. Daphne Rubin-Vega plays Blanche’s sister Stella and Wood Harris stars as Blanche’s sexually frustrated lover, Mitch.
On the colorblind casting, Underwood tells EW: “Tennessee Williams was very connected to the racial diversity of the French Quarter. It’s even in the opening of the script, ‘Two women, one white and one colored, are taking the air on the steps of the building… for New Orleans is a cosmopolitan city where there is a relatively warm and easy intermingling of the races in the old part of town.’ Williams lived there and understood it.”
With original music by jazz trumpeter Terence Blanchard, the revival opened Sunday, April 22, at the Broadhurst Theatre and is scheduled to play a limited run through July 22. Watch a clip below.
- Atlanta Police on the Hunt for T.I.-Looking Suspect
- Ne-Yo & Crystal Renay Get Married with Baby Already on the Way
- Chris Brown's Baby Mama Nia Guzman Responds to Criminal Allegations
- The Socialist's Journal: Kim Davis
- (Min. Paul Scott) Why Black Minds Matter: Readin’, Writin’ and Revolution
- CurlKit Launches 'Curlstar Favorits Box' - Offering Consumers Instant Access to Brands Coveted by Superstars
- Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable Awards Mumia Abu Jamal Health Fund
- THE (09-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- (The Black Hat) Nicki Minaj: The White Girl Hunter
- 'Meet the Celebrities on Your Own Terms' in Upcoming Workshop for Aspiring Writers (Photos!)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here