*Here’s your first look at Blair Underwood and Nicole Ari Parker as Stanley and Blanche in Broadway’s revival of “A Streetcar Named Desire.”
It’s is the first time the 65-year-old Tennessee Williams’ play has been produced on Broadway with an all non-white main cast. Daphne Rubin-Vega plays Blanche’s sister Stella and Wood Harris stars as Blanche’s sexually frustrated lover, Mitch.
On the colorblind casting, Underwood tells EW: “Tennessee Williams was very connected to the racial diversity of the French Quarter. It’s even in the opening of the script, ‘Two women, one white and one colored, are taking the air on the steps of the building… for New Orleans is a cosmopolitan city where there is a relatively warm and easy intermingling of the races in the old part of town.’ Williams lived there and understood it.”
With original music by jazz trumpeter Terence Blanchard, the revival opened Sunday, April 22, at the Broadhurst Theatre and is scheduled to play a limited run through July 22. Watch a clip below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- FoxNews.Com Pulls Comment Section of Malia Obama Story After Racists Take Over
- Pres. Obama Drinks Filtered Flint Water to Show It's Safe (Watch)
- Blake Shelton Curses Out Beyonce’s Country Haters (Watch)
- Report: Janet Jackson Pregnant With First Child at Nearly 50
- Radio Stations Nationwide to Simulcast Prince’s ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ on Wed
- Woman Stabs Boyfriend For Not Getting Her a Valentine’s Gift (Video)
- Attorney for Prince's Addiction Specialist Explains Pills Found in His Medical Bag (Watch)
- Cynthia Bailey, Stacey Dash Cast in Syfy’s ‘Sharknado: The 4th Awakens’
- Lee Daniels Writes Apology Letter to Sean Penn, Ending Defamation Suit
- Kanye West Reportedly Fired Security Guard for Trying to Talk to His Wife
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here