*Brittney Griner again came up big for Baylor, scoring 26 points and grabbing 13 rebounds to help the Lady Bears cap off an undefeated season with an 80-61 win over Notre Dame in the national championship game Tuesday night.
Baylor became the first team in NCAA history (men’s or women’s) to win 40 games. Even more important to the Lady Bears, the team cut down the nets for the first time since 2005.
For the Fighting Irish (35-4), a second straight trip to the title game ended in heartbreak. They lost 76-70 to Texas A&M last season.
Odyssey Sims chipped in 19 for the Bears, while Destiny Williams added 12.
All season long, both Baylor and Notre Dame have focused on the slogan “Unfinished Business.” Griner & Co. even have wristbands with the phrase on it. Coach Kim Mulkey said the team used the same motto the year the Lady Bears won their only championship.
Baylor is the seventh women’s team to go through a season unbeaten, but the first in the NCAA-era to go 40-0.
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Black Women Fastest Growing Group of Entrepreneurs in U.S
- Once Homeless and Alone in NYC, Man Receives Yale Scholarship
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- America: A Nation Under Sin or Love?
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here