*Brittney Griner again came up big for Baylor, scoring 26 points and grabbing 13 rebounds to help the Lady Bears cap off an undefeated season with an 80-61 win over Notre Dame in the national championship game Tuesday night.
Baylor became the first team in NCAA history (men’s or women’s) to win 40 games. Even more important to the Lady Bears, the team cut down the nets for the first time since 2005.
For the Fighting Irish (35-4), a second straight trip to the title game ended in heartbreak. They lost 76-70 to Texas A&M last season.
Odyssey Sims chipped in 19 for the Bears, while Destiny Williams added 12.
All season long, both Baylor and Notre Dame have focused on the slogan “Unfinished Business.” Griner & Co. even have wristbands with the phrase on it. Coach Kim Mulkey said the team used the same motto the year the Lady Bears won their only championship.
Baylor is the seventh women’s team to go through a season unbeaten, but the first in the NCAA-era to go 40-0.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Octavia Spencer on Why NASA Movie About Black Women is Overdue
- Angela Bassett Launches ‘Darker Skin Tones’ Skincare Line
- Beyonce Drops ‘Sorry’ Video, Teen Gets into 'Formation' for Prom (Watch)
- Drake Getting Sued By Producer Detail Over Broken Jaw Assault
- Watch: Hundreds Gather to Support Wealthy Black Family Victimized by 'Hate Crime'
- 'Concrete Park' Collides with 'Blokhedz' at Harvard University
- Yodovo.com Encourages Blacks: Be Loud, Black and Proud
- Josh Childress Opens Up about Why Millionaire Ballers Go Broke
- Janelle Monáe to Wardrobe Critic: ‘I’m Not For Male Consumption’
- S. Epatha Merkerson: ‘I Won’t Even Read a Script with a Snake in it’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here