*Brittney Griner again came up big for Baylor, scoring 26 points and grabbing 13 rebounds to help the Lady Bears cap off an undefeated season with an 80-61 win over Notre Dame in the national championship game Tuesday night.
Baylor became the first team in NCAA history (men’s or women’s) to win 40 games. Even more important to the Lady Bears, the team cut down the nets for the first time since 2005.
For the Fighting Irish (35-4), a second straight trip to the title game ended in heartbreak. They lost 76-70 to Texas A&M last season.
Odyssey Sims chipped in 19 for the Bears, while Destiny Williams added 12.
All season long, both Baylor and Notre Dame have focused on the slogan “Unfinished Business.” Griner & Co. even have wristbands with the phrase on it. Coach Kim Mulkey said the team used the same motto the year the Lady Bears won their only championship.
Baylor is the seventh women’s team to go through a season unbeaten, but the first in the NCAA-era to go 40-0.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Police Erased Video of CLaquan McDonald Shooting: Burger King Manager
- Phaedra Blogs Support for Cynthia and Peter During Marital Drama
- Tyra Banks Not Feuding with Chrissy Teigen, Chooses Beauty Brand Over 'FABLife'
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here