*A judge and attorneys began questioning dozens of potential jurors Monday at the Chicago trial of William Balfour, the man accused of killing singer and Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Hudson’s mother, brother and nephew.
By Monday afternoon, nine of the 12 jurors and six alternates were selected.
Judge Charles Burns and attorneys had questioned 24 of the 150 prospective jurors one-by-one for four straight hours before taking their first break.
The judge publicly stated that his desire is to weed out anyone who could possibly be swayed by Hudson’s celebrity status.
ALSO ON EURweb: Hudson Family Murders: Balfour Made Many Threats Before Killings
Among the selected jury members were a physical therapist, a junior high school teacher, and a man who works at a country club.
Balfour, below, according to TheAP, sat across a conference table from the prospective jurors, wearing a blue dress shirt and tie. At one point one of his attorneys asked him, “How are we doing?” Balfour nodded his head, unsmiling.
Balfour, 30, faces a maximum life sentence if he’s convicted. Burns told would-be jurors last week that anyone opposed to capital punishment need not worry because Illinois abolished the death penalty this year.
Testimony will begin April 23 and Hudson is expected to attend every day of the trial. She is among 300 other potential witnesses.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ashanti Produces New Film ('Mothers and Daughters') with Superstar Cast (Watch)
- Birdman on 'Respek' Trending & Confronting The Breakfast Club
- Report Says Percocet Found in Prince's System
- Rappers Arrested for Credit Card Fraud after Rapping about Crimes in Songs
- L. A. City Hall Salutes 'Prince' on Friday, May 6, (Open to Public FREE)
- Alicia Keys Drops New Single - Ellen's $10,000 Gift to Dance Crew (WATCH)
- Prince’s ‘Kiss’ Performed Randomly on Subway Just Days Before He Died (Watch)
- Behind the Scenes of Janet Jackson’s New Video for ‘Dammn Baby’ (Watch)
- #AirbnbWhileBlack Exposes Racism Faced by Black Renters
- ‘Dear White People’ to Become a Netflix Series
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here