*Inglewood, Calif. – KJLH-FM’s Front Page show will celebrate 20 years on air as where black Los Angeles comes to talk with two weeks of special programming commemorating the 20th anniversary of the 1992 L.A. civil unrest. The week starts on Monday, April 23 from 4:30AM to 6AM PDT, as members of the original 1992 Cease Fire Agreement (Watts Peace Treaty) discuss gang violence in Los Angeles over the past 20 years since the treaty as well as the state of gangs and gang violence in Los Angeles today. Hosted by Dominique DiPrima, the Front Page is Los Angeles’ only daily talk radio show focused on African-American issues. The show can be heard on air in Los Angelesfrom 4:30AM until 6AM at 102.3 FM, online at www.kjlhradio.com, and downloaded later on iTunes after the broadcast. KJLH is located at 161 North La Brea Avenue in Inglewood, Calif.
On April 28, 1992, gang members in Watts, both Crips and Bloods alike, signed a “Cease Fire Agreement,” an unprecedented agreement between rival gangs in Southeast Los Angeles. The “Peace Treaty” simultaneously sought to deal with “human capacity building” in an area blighted by social ills induced by poverty, abuse, neglect and oppression. Gangs such as the Bounty Hunter Bloods, PJ Watts Crips, Hacienda Village Bloods and Grape Street Watts Crips were part of the treaty of 1992that mitigated violence and tensions between these rival neighborhoods.
The success of the Cease Fire led to an immediate decline in violence in Los Angeles the following year, and laid a strong developmental foundation for many community members, gang andnon-gang youth and adults notably included, to seek to change their environment.
As a direct result from the gang’s efforts, Los Angeles is currently experiencing a 40-year low as it relates to gang homicides and gang related violence.
WHO: Members of the original 1992 Watts Gang Peace Treaty
WHAT: KJLH-FM Front Page Show 20th Anniversary Special Programming
WHEN: Monday, April 23, 4:30AM to 6AM
161 North La Brea Avenue, Inglewood, Calif.
Owned by Stevie Wonder’s Taxi Productions, KJLH is the leading broadcast radio station for African-Americans and urban consumers in Southern California. The Los Angeles home for the Steve Harvey Morning Show, KJLH’s award-winning Front Page show with Dominique DiPrima is Los Angeles’ only talk radio show focused on African-American issues.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Parking Lot Crowded, Can't Locate Your Car? Meet 'Zus'
- Draya Michele's Post-Baby Body - Richard Sherman Pranks Himself
- You Can Purchase 'Boycott Beyoncé' Shirts at 'Formation' Tour
- R.Kelly Accused of Screwing Promoter Out of $500k
- W. Kamau Bell Screens 'United Shades of America' in Atlanta
- Flavor Flav Offered to Give O.J. Simpson Back His Bronze Statue
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Javier Colon performs May 4, 2016 at Rams Head on Stage
- Ludacris' Secret to Making it Rain and Having Good Skin (WATCH)
- LL Cool J Charms at ‘Hamilton' - Gabrielle Union Slams Hollywood
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here